Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Commems Collection Modern: 1994 World Cup Coins - Part III

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 4,687Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6560 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2013  6:28 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In a previous post about the 1994 World Cup USA commemorative coins, I presented a pair of philatelic-numismatic covers (PNCs) that featured the half-dollar. (Have a look here: http://goccf.com/t/135438 )

Tonight I thought I'd share a third World Cup coin cover from collection. This one, however, is from "across the pond" and was issued by Mercury Luxury Covers of Watford, England. With the popularity of soccer and the World Cup in Europe (and around the world), it is not too surprising that a UK company would issue a commemorative World Cup cover featuring US stamps and a US coin.

The so-labeled "First Day COIN Cover" includes all three of the US commemorative stamps issued on May 26, 1994. The "first day" postmark on the cover is from Pasadena, CA. Pasadena was not the official "First Day City" for the stamp release (East Rutherford, NJ was), but it was a significant city for the 1994 World Cup. The Rose Bowl Stadium in Pasadena hosted eight matches during the tournament, including the Championship match on July 17, 1994.

As with the previous covers I've shown, this one also features a half-dollar coin. New on this cover is Striker, the official mascot of World Cup USA 1994. In a future post, I'll discuss the special edition "Striker Commemorative Coin Set" issued by the US Mint.

The cover measures 7-1/2 inches wide by 5 inches wide. It is numbered in the lower-right corner of its front side. The cover shown is number 9812 of what I understand was an issue of 10,000.

I find these PNCs an interesting supplement to my commemorative collection, hopefully you do as well.

1994 World Cup USA 94 Mercury Coin Cover - Front

1994 World Cup USA 94 Mercury Coin Cover - Back (Blank)

Read More: Commems Collection
Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/17/2013 10:56 pm
Learn More...
United States
104880 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
965 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2013  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1967Canadapenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
3451 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2013  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsKelly to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! Striker reminds me of Underdog's cousin.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 4,687Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05