Coin Community Family of Web Sites
YourCoinBox is offering a stress free way to appraise and sell your coins from the comfort of your home. Our goal is to create an ultra transparent and no pressure experience for finding out what your coins are worth and what to do with them.
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1874-1937 San Francisco Mint Coin Treasury Department

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 34,268Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2013  6:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found this inside a little fabric sleeve in a coin lot I bought. Since I'm new I figured I'd share. From my little knowledge I believe it's simply a souvenir type coin correct? It appears to be in decent shape. The little research I did shows a retail value of around $20 give or take. Agree, disagree, comments? Thanks!

Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2013  12:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HaroldS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not much help. Just curious what metal is it made of?
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2013  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JJHFL to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Copper Coin (possible copper/bronze/copper alloy)

EDIT: I have read on various sites about it described as copper, bronze, copper alloy and the ever so helpful "metal" :)

One thing I read (maybe interesting) is that a replica was made at the Philidelphia mint bearing no mint mark. This clearly has an "S" mint mark. Don't know if this is significant or not, or how factual the info I read is.
Edited by JJHFL
05/28/2013 08:05 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6097 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2013  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice medal!

The Mint began striking these small bronze medals for collectors back in the 1970s. This particular medal is/was part of the Mint's "Official Mint Medals and Historic Buildings" series and is catalogued as number 751 on the Mint's list.

When a portion of the Old San Francisco Mint was re-opened for public visitation in 1973 as a museum, it featured an old coining press on which visitors could strike their own souvenir medal; the same medals were also available over the counter. My understanding is that the medals struck for sale at the Old Mint carried the "S" mint mark.

The Old San Francisco Mint building design seen on the medal's obverse was created by Sherl J Winter, an engraver at the US Mint in Philadelphia; you can see his initials "SJW" just below the building at the far right.

The Old Mint Museum was closed in 1993. From time to time, the Mint has struck additional copies of the medal in Philadelphia; these medals do not have a mintmark. Similar medals have been struck for each of the Mint facilities over the years.

In terms of value, these pieces are not a "hot" area for collectors and so many are sold on eBay and at coin shows/shops for under $10 (often for under $5). Sellers often try to get more (and sometimes do) but a patient buyer can get one for just a few dollars.

Hope that helps!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
05/28/2013 10:13 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 34,268Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05