Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Zeugitana Carthage

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,024Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1294 Posts
 Posted 07/09/2013  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dutch,

I collect a few Carthaginians myself.

Your first coin is pretty good for the price. You don't see these in really nice condition very often and most are priced quite high. I've been looking for one myself.

Below is a picture of one I was bidding on and now kicking myself for not going jist a little higher. It went for quite a bit more than 18 (75 euro plus 10% fees and shipping), but it's the best one I've seen in a year or more of looking.

Yours was about one sixth the price but is better than one sixth the condition IMO.

Your second coin is ok, but there are more of these types around. I think I would of saved the 18 dollars about three times and bought a nicer one.

Anoobs link is the best one for Carthagian coins I think, and I agree that coins from such a long lasting, yet so ill fated civilization are great to have.

Nice finds.

Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 07/10/2013  02:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the information! I'm content with both of the coins!
United States
30 Posts
 Posted 07/11/2013  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobz5000 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coins!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1411 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2013  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windchild to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pardon that this reply is late, but I have some good information to add to this thread:

First, I have your coin listed in a database I am compiling for a YN (Young Numismatist) study essay (with dealer permission)

From this, I can tell you that your coin is an AE 15 and weights 5.1 grams.

The dealer graded this as VF, which I disagree with (rough aVF is my opinion)

This coin was listed at 15 Euros, and I would say market rate is ~$30. [nice buy ]

The identification is as follows (using my coin as the example:

Carthage

AE17
370-325BC
Siculo-Punic Mint
(no legend)
Wreathed head of Tanit left
(no legend)
Horse galloping right
17mm
5.5g
gVF
Sassari 56-136, Holleman Munten List 106

Forvm Best of Type

Your coins description should be:

Carthage

AE15
370-325BC
Siculo-Punic Mint
(no legend)
Wreathed head of Tanit left
(no legend)
Horse rearing right
15mm
5.1g
aVF
Sassari 56-136, Holleman Munten List 106

Note: my descriptions for the horse are based on my study, not the (IMHO wrong) modern opinions (too few still have the lines to tell, but I believe that there are three main varieties (I have heard of a fourth, but I need to find one before I say that there is a fourth) of horse movements, which the three here show.

Doucet posted one of the best horse prancing examples I have seen, mine is galloping and yours is rearing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2013  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
<- Big Carthage Fan!

Nice coins fellas...
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 08/25/2013  07:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much for your information!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1294 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Edited by Doucet
03/21/2020 8:11 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 2,024Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05