Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2005 Australian Coat Of Arms 50 Cents

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,773Next Topic  

Australia
36 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2013  05:30 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Nick01 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why did this coin give me so much grief?
I have been looking for it on and off for a while as I needed it for my 50 Cents collection. I finally gave in to purchasing this coin on eBay with the 50 Pence coin included. Shame I can't put it in its slot because it's in a 'First Day of Issue' envelope.
It was even harder to get my hands on than the 2005 Mob of Roos 1 Dollar!

Why is it so scarce? I thought it was just a regular Coat of Arms 50 Cents haha.

Feel free to post pictures, etc of your 2005 Australian Coat of Arms 50 Cents.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1295 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2013  06:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add markn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It was only released in the PNC that you bought. No mint set, no circulation issue, nothing other than the PNC. That's why it's hard to find.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1607 Posts
 Posted 07/29/2013  07:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add appleangel07 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Nick01,the 2005 $1 is one of the lowest mintage $1's so they were collected out of circulation or before circulation very quickly, 5,792000 were struck so compared to other years it's very low.

Only 30,000 50cent coins were struck so that might give you some idea why they are hard to find.
Edited by appleangel07
07/29/2013 07:08 am
Valued Member
Australia
318 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2013  07:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add penny dreadful to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is the hardest of the standard design 50c pieces, and I pulled apart the PNC to liberate my 2005 coin to put into a 2x2 for the collection
If you're looking on eBay, you may get one cheaper from a UK seller (as the PNC is a joint Aus/UK issue; they may not be aware as to how rare the 50c coin actually is...get a cheap one and you won't feel guilty pulling it apart!!)
Also, on the occasional listings of the 2005 COA 50c coin on its own can go for way higher than one still in the PNC - dunno why, and this happens quite often for other coins liberated from sets (colored Millenium 50c, colored COF 50c, 2004 colored MOR $1)
Learn More...
Australia
13423 Posts
 Posted 09/03/2013  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Also, on the occasional listings of the 2005 COA 50c coin on its own can go for way higher than one still in the PNC - dunno why, and this happens quite often for other coins liberated from sets

I put it down to a quirk of human psychology.

We don't like to destroy things which we perceive should be precious, and an intact "set" is perceived as being more precious than one that is broken up. So we don't want to do it.

As type and date collectors, however, we want to keep the coins from the set with all our other coins, so that makes such coins still sitting in their big bulky sets wrappers less desirable to us - and, by the law of supply and demand, reduced demand means reduced value. Nick01 has expressed this sentiment in the OP...

Quote:
Shame I can't put it in its slot because it's in a 'First Day of Issue' envelope.

Why "can't" you? Why "can't" I do the same thing? The only thing stopping us is our conscience, telling us not to destroy precious things. We know (or we should know) that such coins sold separately had to have been "liberated" from a set by a prior owner - probably by the same guy who's selling the coin to us - but as long as we didn't actually see the liberation taking place, it doesn't affect our conscience.

In effect, when we pay extra money for coins liberated from sets and PNCs, we are paying someone else to do our dirty work for us.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
7096 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2013  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trout1105 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had absolutely NO reservations liberating my 2005 50 cent coin from the PNC pack.
Valued Member
Australia
318 Posts
 Posted 09/04/2013  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add penny dreadful to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I had absolutely NO reservations liberating my 2005 50 cent coin from the PNC pack.

Me neither....

I mean, you don't keep your birthday or Christmas prezzies in their original wrappings, so why coins - after all, they are presents to self.....
Wrappings and associated frippery just get in the way!
Valued Member
Australia
483 Posts
 Posted 09/06/2013  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mrcruise to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've got no problems liberating coins

After all, you can thank packaging for excessive postage prices on eBay when all one really wants is the coin

Apart from a few notable exceptions like certain PNC's and early Reserve Bank wallets I've got no problem pulling coins out of packaging
Australia
4 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NickWilliams2020 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

MS67 2005 Coat of Arms.
Got it for $39.

Ever since this post I have gained this MS67 and another PNC :)

Props
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2516 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  5:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add triggersmob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin.
I had one given to me on a PNC,
by an old member who has sadly passed away now.

Steve :)
View my Coins here, (NOW WITH OVER 14,500 IMAGES).... http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10048
OFEC count = 237
Valued Member
Australia
302 Posts
 Posted 08/03/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add karloning to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have 30 of the 2005 MOR but not one of the 50 cent. Mayeb all of the MOR's came to WA
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 4,773Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05