Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Fun Thread--Worst Coins On Ebay, Etsy, Craigslist, And Other Buying Sites!

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2,426 / Views: 206,852Next Topic
Page: of 162
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2021  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why is there such a misconception of the 1976 Bicentennial Washington quarter with non-collectors believing they are extremely rare and valuable? SMH....I don't get it. This new listing is a very good example.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303902840266

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8480 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  03:21 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good example, igor22!

Something I don't get is why so many of these people persist in asking ridiculously high prices. The average person generally does NOT spend $150 or $225 on a coin. The only person likely to spend that sort of money on a coin is a serious collector, and they will know it's worth 25 cents!

Yesterday I came across an eBay ad offering a circulated 1981 British 2p coin for 150. I emptied my change jar, fished out an identical coin, photographed it and stuck it on eBay for 99p including postage (the minimum I could sell it for without actually making a loss). In the description I wrote:

Look on eBay and you will see 1981 2p coins for sale for ridiculous prices. I've seen some advertised for 150.

Honestly, who on earth would pay 150 for a 1981 2p coin?

Would you pay 3,750 for a pint of milk?

If you needed to post a letter, and your friend had a second-class stamp in his wallet, would you pay him 4,950 for it?

You see a brand-new Dacia Sandero car on a dealer's forecourt. The price sticker in the windshield says 59,962,500. Or you could put down a deposit and then pay 675,000 a month. Would you buy the car?

Of course not. Well, all of those are equivalent to paying 150 for a 1981 2p coin!
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/01/2021  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Of course not. Well, all of those are equivalent to paying 150 for a 1981 2p coin!

NumisRob That is absolutely hilarious!

Over the course of a couple of months last year, I had inquired as to how these sellers come to the values they have for the outrageously priced coins. I was really surprised with my findings, and ultimately discovered a scam outside of the usual selling platforms that involves mainly common modern coins....which I'm sure is also being implemented using common modern European coins.

Im not very knowledgeable in the subject of European coins, despite having a small collection of European pieces, I wouldn't know the values of any of them off the top of my head to save my life. So I guess the overpriced listings are targeting the persons that are "Less Than Knowledgeable" of the pieces they are dealing with, or the seller had come across bad information leading them to believe differently.
Valued Member
United States
400 Posts
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
LOL....The seller must have gotten a bunch of messages informing him/her that the common quarter with environmental exposure damage was not "Extremely Rare" as they claim....the listing has been removed. I'm just curious...What was the heading of this listing?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21262 Posts
 Posted 03/02/2021  6:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
United States
1062 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumisEd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This nonsense with these sky-high prices would immediately stop if eBay starts charging a daily listing fee: the longer your coin is for sale, the more money you pay just to list it. The faster you sell your coin, the lower the fee. THAT would provide an incentive for people to lower their prices so they sell quickly.
Edited by NumisEd
03/03/2021 10:10 am
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
NumisEd I completely agree with you. I find it interesting that eBay cracked down on the fake Chinese items that were flooding the listings a handful of years ago, and the over priced hand sanitizer/disinfectant cleaners....but it is okay for common/damaged coins listed as "Extremely Rare" with obnoxious high Buy It Now prices that are targeting the persons that are not knowledgeable enough to know better.
Valued Member
United States
380 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  12:02 pm  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rarely look at "Buy it Now" listings because of high prices. But the auctions have gotten just as bad with high minimum bids. eBay needs to reward sellers that have auctions that get bids, and charge a extra fee for those that never get a bid. That would be about 95% of all auctions!

Most days, I look at all the world coin auctions that are about to close. Except for junk silver lots, most of them never get a bid. There are only a handful of sellers of world coins that start their lots under a $1 and offer free or reasonable shipping. They do just fine as I bid on many of their items but only win a few. It is not an "auction" when the minimum bid is full retail (or worse!)
Pillar of the Community
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Someone's begging to get their account removed, methinks... most of the other 66 items he's offering at the moment are just as bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Jeffe...154270929603
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Edited by John77
03/03/2021 5:27 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21262 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  5:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Someone's begging to get their account removed, methinks

What rule did he break?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What rule did he break?

Ha ha, very funny!
CRH Nickeloholic. 1,300,000 nickels searched in five years! Already have found THREE complete Jefferson sets!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2235 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Something I don't get is why so many of these people persist in asking ridiculously high prices. The average person generally does NOT spend $150 or $225 on a coin. The only person likely to spend that sort of money on a coin is a serious collector, and they will know it's worth 25 cents!

Yesterday I came across an eBay ad offering a circulated 1981 British 2p coin for 150. I emptied my change jar, fished out an identical coin, photographed it and stuck it on eBay for 99p including postage (the minimum I could sell it for without actually making a loss). In the description I wrote:

Look on eBay and you will see 1981 2p coins for sale for ridiculous prices. I've seen some advertised for 150.

Honestly, who on earth would pay 150 for a 1981 2p coin?

Would you pay 3,750 for a pint of milk?

If you needed to post a letter, and your friend had a second-class stamp in his wallet, would you pay him 4,950 for it?

You see a brand-new Dacia Sandero car on a dealer's forecourt. The price sticker in the windshield says 59,962,500. Or you could put down a deposit and then pay 675,000 a month. Would you buy the car?

Honestly, this is brilliant! Great job, NumisRob!
Valued Member
United States
78 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1847bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You sure get a lot of pictures for the money.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 03/03/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Igor22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What rule did he break?

The only issue I see is the extremely high price, but that isn't a violation that I know of....it's not like the seller claimed the coin was uncirculated or in MS condition.
Page: of 162 Previous TopicReplies: 2,426 / Views: 206,852Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05