Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lot Of Lincoln Cents W/ 3 Copper Cover Steel Cents?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2014  12:34 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I had to share this weird one I picked up last night from a collector moving into a retirement home on eBay.

This auction was for what he described as a small cent Wheat and Memorial etc. lot.

I was just original grabbing it to help bulk up my collection plus was under $100 with 15 of that being shipping.

Then after the fact I notice it said three of the steels someone copper covered? 3rd picture down

I am thinking 0.000000000001% chance they might be something

I got my magnet ready and hope its not a 48 cu down to a 3

Most likely they will be nothing but who knows....

First picture shows all of lot.

Picture #2 flips from two boxes of Wheats. Picture #3 five partial tubes of Wheats. (three of the steels someone copper covered?) Picture #4 15 partially filled coin safes of Wheats. Picture #5 a red box of Wheat flips. Picture #6 a red box with Memorials and one Wheat. Picture #7 Three booklets and some oddities. Picture the open books from p#7 that are 1959-95 complete, 1941-75 complete and partially filled 1909-40.

Edited by OcalaFlorida
03/10/2014 12:47 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2014  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds kind of interesting, but I am confused. Not sure what pics, etc we're supposed to be looking at. You have pics of this copper covered steel cent? If it's in the album, I can't really see the dates because the pics are too small.

Looks like a fun collection to go thought though!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2014  12:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trent, I updated the thread it was a bulk lot I got last night it is third picture down and I cropped one out just showing 3 coins but not good resolution and added it up top.

But I will update when they come by Thursday. Either way makes for a fun time plus even if fakes they can be a conversation piece.
Edited by OcalaFlorida
03/10/2014 12:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
344 Posts
 Posted 03/10/2014  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trent to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh, now I see that smaller cropped picture in your post (the first smaller pic). Are those the "1943" dated cents? If that is the case one of them would be suspicious enough. Three of them together is a little bit much!

I'm curious if it looks like the dates have been altered, say making a 1948 say 1943 of if it was a genuine steelie from 1943coated in copper. Could probably find out by weighing it to see if it differs from the weight of a standard steel cent, but is not 3.11 grams like a copper cent. And the magnet test.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2752 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2014  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OcalaFlorida to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And of coarse the Magnet test confirms they are 1943 pennies plated in copper. I was hoping for 1 to be a altered 48..

Well I guess I will enjoy the other stuff this lot, I already see a lot of goodies even some errors I will have fun going through this..
Learn More...
United States
84180 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2014  5:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An interesting lot. I am sad that a collector had to let them go, but I am glad they found a new home.
Pillar of the Community
1325 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2014  11:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add shadz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better a collector get them to continue to enjoy than the bank jsut jsut destroy all that work and lower their value for future collectors. Happy and sad thing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19172 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2014  11:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW that is a really great purchase. To bad the seller had to sell all that. Sure is a great way to add to your collection. Reallllllly great buy.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05