Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Believe This Goes Here. Latest Coin Purchase And A First

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  06:41 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I visited my local friendly coin shop yesterday and had a cup of tea with the owner. He proceeds to show me what he purchased that day. Sometimes I buy from what he just brought in and sometimes I just drool Yesterday was a buy day. First time I have ever bought a coin like this and plan on having it graded by NGC, paperwork will be filled out on Thursday. Comments Positive/Negative are wanted as I need to learn more about this coin.

BYZANTINE EMPIRE. ROMANOS IV. DIOGENES, 1068-1071 AD. AV HISTAMENON..

Edited by Freedom
04/23/2014 08:45 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  08:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, I think it would be a shame to put it in a slab.
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  09:04 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coin. We really don't like to see ancient coins locked away in a slab. If you want to coin certified I would suggest sending it to David Sear. http://www.davidrsear.com click on the ACCS for pricing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Very nice coin. We really don't like to see ancient coins locked away in a slab. If you want to coin certified I would suggest sending it to David Sear. http://www.davidrsear.com click on the ACCS for pricing.

Whole new arena to me. Thanks for the information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would you be willing to try and give it a grade? I can usually grade a Morgan, Peace or
similar coin but Like I said above, this is all new to me and I think I am addicted.
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  11:30 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would like to see larger pictures, but from what I can see I'd give it aVF.
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would like to see larger pictures, but from what I can see I'd give it aVF.

I will get closer pics tonight.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  5:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xodus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would also agree with VF. It has a great strike but the faces being worn and other spots bring it down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Slabbing/not slabbing is a personal call, but my take on it has been not to do it because it is nice to be able to handle the coins and it's a bit of a waste of money because ancient grading is pretty arbitrary anyway. I think that's a really nice coin, cool imagery. I don't really collect gold or Byzantine coins and I can't tell from the pictures; is it thin like Sassanid silver coins from that time period?
Pillar of the Community
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  7:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freedom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, quite thin
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  7:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice lookin' coin freedom, gold coins are out of my range so I can't offer much else. ENG ( a forum member) has a similar coin, maybe he can comment on it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2014  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any prevailing theories on why coins generally got wider and thinner (as opposed to being the same weight but thicker and narrower) during that time period?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05