Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Infinite Days Of Your Favorite Ancient Coins

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 10,854Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  09:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...and lastly the Lifetime Alexander the Great Tetradrachm.

I know my Caligula, Hadrian, Trajan and Justinian coins are all super mad...

Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My best coin, by far:

SICILY, Syracuse. Agathokles (317-289 BC)
310-305 BC

AR tetradrachm, 17.40 g, 24 mm
Obv: head of the nymph Arethusa left, wearing grain wreath, earring and necklace; around, three dolphins; under, monogram (NK?)
Rev: ΣYPAKOΣIΩN, fast chariot charioteer leads to left, holding reins and kentron; above, triskeles; in exergue, monogram
Ref: Ierardi 9; SNG Copenhagen 573 var., SNG ANS 637

Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

KINGS OF MACEDON, Antigonos II Gonatas
277/6-239 BC, struck after 270 BC, Amphipolis mint

AR tetradrachm, 31mm, 17.06 g
Obv: head of Pan in center of Macedonian shield, lagobolon over shoulder; shield decorated with stars within crescents
Rev: BASILEWS ANTIGONOU, Athena Alkidemos walking left, brandishing thunderbolt and shield; helmet left, EMP monogram right
Ref: SNGCop 1200v, EMP (maybe); R. Martin, "A Third-Century B.C. Hoard from Thessaly at the ANS," ANSMN 26, 536 (same obv. die).
ex Demetrios Armounta Collection
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

CORINTHIA, Corinth.
345-307 BC

AR stater, 8.65 gm
Obv Pegasus flying left, qoppa below
Rev: helmeted head of Athena left wearing necklace; head of Silenus behind
Ref: Ravel 1046. Calciati 408. Scarce variety.
This scarce variety was chosen to represent Corinth staters, #23 in Harlan J. Berk's book, "100 Greatest Ancient Coins".
Pillar of the Community
United States
4745 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  10:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
here are 3 favorites,

republican ar..

imperial ae...

parthian ar...

Learn More...
United States
23143 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  11:47 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want one of those First Meris so bad
Learn More...
United States
23143 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  11:51 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Sasanian Khurso II

Roman Republic denarius
Pillar of the Community
United States
2480 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ThisIsFun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Echoing echizento, all of my coins are my favorites. You've opened Pandora's box... I may post all of my coins in this thread.

Here are a few more "favorites"

MACEDON, Pangeion region
Uncertain mint, 5th century BC

AR trihemitetartemorion (trihemiobol), 5 mm, 0.26 gm
Obv: monkey squatting left
Rev: round shield or pellet within incuse square
Ref: "Uncertain Thraco-Macedonian Coins, Part II", Nomismatika Khronika (1998), 67
This enigmatic series showing a monkey squatting either right or left with a round shield on the reverse, is the only Greek coinage of the classical period to depict such an animal. Monkeys are known to have been kept as house pets in antiquity, but its significance in this context is unknown.

The 5 mm monkey atop a 48 mm Ptolemy II bronze, also a favorite and my largest diameter coin:

Half a squadron of Pigasus coins from Klazomenai:

Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  1:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since Thisisfun posted his "hilarious size difference" picture I'll go ahead and put up mine, a Roman Macedonian Tetradrachm next to a Carian hemiobol (which is incidentally my wife's favorite coin because it's a 'baby coin'.)

Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  2:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow great coins!

I have several favorites:

Non romans:

Hemidrachm of Cheronesos 386-338 BC

Satraps of Caria - Drachm Moussollos 357 BC

Drachm of Abdera, 365-345 BC

Achaemenid siglos silver - 375BC
Valued Member
United Kingdom
246 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  2:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Red to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some of mine

(Hope it's real!!)

Love it for its size & bulk (Any tips on cleaning it up ?)

Love the celtic designs.

and now my two wish they were reals :-)

It has an edge seam, so 99.9% sure it's fake

(Any ID help appreciated )
Edited by Red
04/26/2014 2:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
1204 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  3:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dutchgulden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Romans:

Rom Republic- Julius Caesar military mint Aeneas

Rom Republic - Marc Antony 32 BC Patrae mint

Caligula As Vesta

Nero As SPQR

Hadrian Sestertius

Edited by Dutchgulden
04/26/2014 3:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins all.

@RED- the Athens Tetradrachm is 100% a copy. It should be nearly 17 grams fine silver, although the diameter is about right, this tells me it is not silver as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4778 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Check VisigothKing's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add VisigothKing to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bet they are not VK! Would love to see them, especially the monograms please.

All right, but only because you said 'please'

Germanic coinage of the immediate post-Roman period is one of my specialties. They may resemble those rough-looking late Romans people oftentimes disregard, but these are rare and usually pricey. This is my 10 nummi coin of King Theodahad, an early barbarian King of Italy and King of the Ostrogoths. By this time the barbarian tribes had completely taken over the Western half of the Roman Empire (including the city of Rome) and formed stable kingdoms.

Theodahad, Ostrogothic Kingdom
AE Decanummium
Obv: INVICT-A ROMA, Roma helmeted, facing right
Rev: DN-THEODA-HATHVS-REX in four lines within wreath, X below
Mint: Rome, struck 534-536 AD
Ref: BMC 16, COI 90 (my example is on Wildwinds)

I'll post some more favorites soon.
"For as long as Belisarius lives, it is impossible for him to relinquish this city." - Roman general Belisarius, responding to a group of Gothic envoys, during the Gothic siege of Rome in 537 AD

Attributed coins in my collection so far - Roman: 241, Byzantine: 44, Post-Roman Germanic: 24
Edited by VisigothKing
04/26/2014 4:10 pm
Learn More...
United States
23143 Posts
 Posted 04/26/2014  4:19 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A couple of more.

AR Tetradrachm
Phoenicia Arados
100 BC

AR Tetradrachm
Phoenicia, Sidon
Circa 100 BC
A contender for the type used as the 30 pieces of silver.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 43 / Views: 10,854Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05