Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bela III

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  12:42 pm Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received an excellent group of coins yesterday from Kevin. In that group where several of these little gems. While not a true ancient coin, Bela had ties with the Byzantine empire

Bela III King of Hungray 1172-1196

Bela is associated with the Byzantine emperor Manuel I Comnenus who had Bela sent to Constantinople to be educated. Manuel had no son and intended that Bela become his heir, Manuel even agganged that he marry his daughter Maria Comnena. Bela was given the Greek name of Alexius.

However Manuel late had a son with his second wife Maria of Antioch, Alexius II Comnenus. Because of this Bela was pushed aside and Alexius II became heir. The marriage to Maria Comnena was also cancelled, though Manuel did aggarge for him to marry Agnes of Antioch the daughter of Raynald of Chatillon and half sister of Maria. Bela succeeded his brother Stephen III as king of Hungray.

Here are two of the same coin, one is struck flat and the other is struck as a cup coin.

AE 26mm
Bela III
Obverse: Bela and St Stephen Seated
BELA REX
Reverse: Virgin Mary
MARIA SANCTA
2.6 grams
26 mm struck flat
Reference: Huszar 072

The only difference between this one is that it is struck as a cup coin. And it's 25 mm x 1.8 grams
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  1:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like this topic very much!
Thank you!

He was a powerful ruler, and his court was counted among the most brilliant in Europe!

This is the only cup coin from Hungary!
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting history about this Kingdom.
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I live very near the town (Esztergom), where he born. This city was the capital city of Hungary that time, so this coin was probably minted here!
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  2:37 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are these coins fairly common to find in your country?
Valued Member
200 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  3:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Baltas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nearly common yes!
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  6:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's really amazing how US schools totally skip over Eastern Europe. You study Egypt and Greece a bit, then Rome, then suddenly the Renaissance happens and you're like 'wait what happened the last 1000 years?' They say 'the dark ages' and you kind of move on. I really had no appreciation for Byzantine or in general Eastern European history until very very recently when I started listening to some podcasts about them. It's as interesting a time and place as any and I wish more people would learn about it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  6:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bela iii coins are very cool, nice ski. the flat one is interesting as well....I've seen a few of those, but for some reason I thought they were smushed scyphate coin.

here mine!

Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  7:08 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Chuy, like you I never really paid too much time to the study of Eastern European history. It's funny because I'm half Polish and never took the time to learn about it's history. From collecting Byzantine coins I've learned how it influenced several of these countries, along with how the Ottomam empire struggled to take control over them but was not able to.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2014  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like these coins a lot. I don't have, but that will change I am sure.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
201 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2014  04:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jimbo777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins echizento. I have developed an interest in medieval and in particular eastern european medieval coins myself recently. Will try and get around to posting some ..
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05