Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Real 1943 Copper Penny?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 3,674Next Topic
Page: of 3
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  12:36 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think I may Have run Across a 1943 Copper Penny.....!?

-It Passes the Magnet Test
-Drop test Sounded like other copper pennies
-Weight checks out

Waiting for funds to do an NGC submission.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think I may have run across a 1943 copper penny

Or a 1945 copper penny
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  01:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's a '3', it seems to be floating to far east. Can you post additional photos robcabob?
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That other photo, and this one are not mine, but from the original owner(Canadian). This one is barely different.

I can take them tomorrow, No coin here, plus camera batteries are dead and spares are at the same place as the coin. Wait for tomorrow for anything good. possible up to two days..... I'm pretty certain that the number is a 3 and not a 5.

Either way, I want professional authentication. I'm sure we can all agree on that in the end.

I'm open to any possible tests, looks super similar to the steel one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16665 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  06:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3 isn't right , shape is off and the size looks a little large also the 3 on a real 43 ends in a point not blunt like that one.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, it appears to be a 3, but the placement and font appear incorrect. As noted by Conder, the tip details on the 3 should be sharp and tapered and the one posted in the picture are blunt and flat. If you consider damage, flattened post minting, the midpoint of the 3 should align with the midpoint (crossbar) of the 4. It appears to be just below. The tips of the 3 should be approximately vertically aligned. The specimen in the subject photo appears to be rotated CCW.

Of course it's your call to authenticate, and everyone here wishes it is the real deal. But you came to the right place for some expert opinions (mine not being one of them), so post some new pic's when you can and let's see if one or two could expand on what you have there. Best of luck to you.
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess all the 1943 copper pennies were printed perfectly?

I'm very interested in all the stuff to debunk it. I did notice the 3 was not pointed like photos of real ones.

The idea I am getting from this feedback is...... The coin is a copper penny but made/altered by someone? is there a link I can use to help me out directly (since I do have the coin) Game of Thrones on tonight may delay the photo. I have work today, then GOT.....

Thanks so much for the Opinions and assistance!
Edited by Robcabob1
06/15/2014 11:41 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not perfectly , but consistantly the same on the very few 1943 coppers that were made. Here is the way it should look.

EDIT: By the way, WELCOME to CCF, Everyone really hopes that you have found yourself a $100,000 coin, but with only 40 known in existance, you can understand our needed skepticism.
Edited by denco7
06/15/2014 12:18 pm
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So Here they are The New Photos...... Sorry there are sooo many, trying.....

Sorry if the images are too similar.... I can totally get better photos up if you request what you want me to do. I do notice the 3 is very rounded as opposed to the normal. What could this be? Would this be a common counterfeit?
Outside of Skepticism, what debunks do we have so far?
-The 3 is too rounded
-What else do we have?
Pillar of the Community
United States
5057 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately even the 9 looks wrong in addition to the 3
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outside of the expectation that the coins should look EXACTLY like the other ones, I would like someone to Identify a type of fake I have? I'm having trouble finding information on fakes like this.....
Thanks for all the help in this forum already, I appreciate it.
Edited by Robcabob1
06/15/2014 7:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1796 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveCaruso to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the date does not match it leaves one of two possibilities:

1) An altered date, where a similar date was changed to make it 1943. This is possible, but I'm not seeing any tooling marks. However, this could be hidden by the damage done to the 3.

2) A complete fabrication, which exist for every date and mint mark (and many date and mint mark combinations that *don't* exist). Could we have some photos of Lincoln? (Or did I miss them on a previous page?)
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2) A complete fabrication, which exist for every date and mint mark (and many date and mint mark combinations that *don't* exist). Could we have some photos of Lincoln? (Or did I miss them on a previous page?)

I'm about to head out to eat. When I'm back, I will take photos of the whole coin. full reflection, an direct(the angle that makes coins look the ugliest!)

I Was thinking Complete Counterfeit if not real.
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Here are the requested Photos, feel free to ask for more!

let's hear it.....
Pillar of the Community
United States
2543 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  10:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add denco7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I stated before, skepticism is needed to prove any find as fake or authentic, you seem to be fixated on the fact that we think that your coin should exactly match previous authenticated finds.
Please remember, there are only 40 of these, made all at once. From the same die. It is not like there were 3 billion of these made, from several different dies like common cents are.
Yes , when only making 40, in a row, from the same die, there is an expectation that they would look exactly the same. Unfortunately your coin is in no way even close.
My opinion is that the real digit was removed.The 3 looks totally soldered on after the fact.
Edited by denco7
06/15/2014 10:33 pm
12 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2014  10:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Robcabob1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
My opinion is that the real digit was removed.The 3 looks totally soldered on after the fact.

ahhh yes, that sounds like it could be completely right. Probably wore the back down to even it out.....

I want to join CGC soon for my comics. I might still send this with other coins I want graded.

again, Appreciate the opinions.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 3,674Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.66 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05