Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With A Grade Kennedy 1964 Half....

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2014  10:24 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well I recently bought something, I either lost big time or got a nice coin for a decent price. I do not have it in hand yet but I took a chance.

Here is what I think, I think it is DCAM for sure but the grade is where I run into issues. It is slabbed in a 2nd Tier slab. Either the pictures were overly fantastic or it truly is a nice coin. I know the grade on the slab is incorrect and by the history of the company that slabbed it, the guess is it was marked 2 grades high. So in that regard, I think it is PR66/67. From the pictures, I can see a few marked that I thought were hairlines, but in the 2nd picture no so much.I see only the one milk spot on the reverse. I will watch this and then post the actual slab and let's see what the guesses are. When I get it in hand I will update it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2014  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
With all the marks on the slab I can't tell. I hope it is DCAM for you, I have seen that photos makes it really easy to make CAM coins looks more CAM then they are.
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2014  11:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I do also. I bought on the bay and assume that the pictures were realistic. Seller has good ratings so we will see. Price was probably too much though if one Milk Spot kills the grade..
Pillar of the Community
United States
679 Posts
 Posted 10/05/2014  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jon K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It that a thumbprint on the portrait behind the ear?
Hopefully that is on the slab as well.
Edited by Jon K
10/05/2014 12:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  12:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well the verdict is in as it has arrived. First impressions are this is one nice coin. I have compared it with my other 64's and this one is definitely in the top 2 in Cameo if not the best. I can not take photo's worth a crap that show it but I will post what I have. The obverse is for sure DCAM with the reverse being 90% chance of being DCAM. The reason I know this is with a quick glance to my NGC and PCGS DCAM Kennedy's, this one makes the muster so to speak. This would be both obverse and reverse. Now, that being said, I have a PR69 1969 DCAM that is better, but I have PR68 1968 & 1970's DCAM's that are not as good as this 1964. So I will try and show just what it is that I have. Grade wise, I am for sure it is at the very least PR66. It has hairlines but they can only be seen at higher magnification etc. The PCI slab is scratched to heck which is a good thing. That had me worried for sure but with the loop, most of what you saw on the Bay pictures were the slab and not the coin. So that gives me confidence in that I have a very good shot at PR67 and a slight shot at PR68. Then again it is PCI but comparing it offhand to my other NGC and PCGS slabbed Kennedy's, I feel good about my purchase.

This doesn't show it well, but it is the best I can do with what skills I have with a camera.

These pictures suck I know so I tried to do something else to show what I mean. Using my camera and pics one can compare to a known DCAM. Same shot, same angle....

So on to the grade, well with hair lines on this at high magnification etc, I still think it is pretty darn nice. Close up, you can tell most of the 'marks' are on the slab and not the coin.
Example:

But the hairlines are there...

And sadly so is a single milk spot. I am not sure how one will affect the grade but it is not an eyesore for sure. At least compared to others I have seen.

And another little bonus is it that it is also an 'Accented Hair's Little Brother' (Type 2 Obverse and Type 1 Reverse. That was a nice little bonus.

So I am pleased with what I got. I paid $132 for it and it was a gamble but I think I did ok. I think I have a PR67 DCAM Kennedy. If so I did well, if it goes PR66 then I still did ok. The fact that it is an Accented Hair's Little Brother might also add some respectability for it.

It is the 2nd PCI coin I have and on both of these I think they did a fair job. The other was an MS62 1964 half and I actually thought that was an MS63.
Pillar of the Community
United States
807 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add brenpickle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The milk spot bugs me, but being on the reverse and only one I don't think it will hurt the grade much. I also don't think the hairlines will hurt the grade much. I don't know if it will make PR67 or not, but I think it is DCAM which is the key. I have had some pretty good luck with PCI slabs. I prefer the green 10 digit serial labels for finding better coins. The most recent one I had was a 1904O MS62pl Morgan that I cracked and got into a MS63 PL NGC slab. I don't know if I would have gambled on this one at the price you did, but I think you ended up doing well.
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, it is a nice one to have for sure and also being the transitional die helps it also I think.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3420 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will the milk spots make it non gradeable?
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2014  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No - it just probably costs a grade if they are 'ugly' to eye appeal. That is a guess.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1247 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2014  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow 132... my ungraded dcam Kennedys are worth way more then I paid for them..
Valued Member
United States
498 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2014  11:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eSinger to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
wow 132... my ungraded dcam Kennedys are worth way more then I paid for them..

Could be, DCAM is the top 10%
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05