Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Far Back Can We Go? Third Edition! - Ended At 1487 Waiting On 1486 -

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3,662 / Views: 235,390Next Topic
Page: of 245
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  3:11 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The original how far back can we go? and the How far back can we go? Second Edition! threads have stalled, so it is time to crank up a new edition for the new members to get in on the easy early years.

We will start this with any coin from 2015. Once the first coin is posted, we can post 2015 coins until at least midnight (forum time).

After midnight (assuming a 2015 is posted) we can post coins from 2014. Keep in mind that we can continue to post 2015 coins until someone posts a 2014.

This rule will be in effect for every year: post the current year until at least midnight. This will allow multiple people to post their coins from each year.

Once we move to the next year, there is no going back, no catching up like is allowed in Moe's "Days Of" threads.

Got it?

A summary of the rules...
1. You must own the coin.
2. You must post a photo of the actual coin you own. We do not care who took the photo. No stock photos allowed.
3. The coin can be from any country.
4. The date needs to be validated as described below:
Common era dating is preferred, but it is acceptable if the date can be converted from another calendar.
It is also acceptable if the date can be determined to the exact year from other criteria.
If it is not obvious, please inform how the date is determined (links are okay).

5. One Year Per Day! This allows for more participation. The change to the next year will occur at Midnight Forum Time (US Eastern Time)
6. We must go in order! No going back to previous years, no jumping ahead to later years.
7. One person should not create multiple posts for each year unless someone else has posted in between or you are posting coins as part of a set (like a proof set, commemorative set, etc).
8. To help page loads and scrolling, please put one coin (one or two photos) per post.

As per usual, we can handle controversies and questions as they occur. I will be counting on the veterans to help enforce rules and maintain flow.

Let the fun begin!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7743 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  4:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
2. You must post your own photo of the coin. 

90 - something percent of my coins are TrueViewed from PCGS.
Edited by oih82w8
01/19/2015 4:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
172 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  4:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KevinH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't it a bit early to have 2015-dated coins in hand, unless we are talking about Silver Eagles?
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
90 - something percent of my coins are TrueViewed from PCGS.
Well, technically that is your photo. You paid for it.

I will edit the rule to be more clear of its intent. I want to avoid the "I have this whatchamacallit, but I do not have a photo, so here is one I downloaded from such-and-such."
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  4:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Isn't it a bit early to have 2015-dated coins in hand, unless we are talking about Silver Eagles?
That is one reason why I wanted to start this now. To see who is shows us the first 2015.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  4:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll be probably be last to come up with a 2015 coin - but I will check my change to see if I can start to contribute from 2014 on.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
548 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  5:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Demarco Bishopp to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder whether anyone has found a 2015 coin in circulation. That would be quite an achievement this early in the year,
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5489 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2015 should go till midnight tomorrow.
Valued Member
Canada
134 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Michael Kish to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll join in this time.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2805 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nalaberong to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So how is it possible to get 2015?

Well, lots of coins are made (gasp!) ahead of time. For instance, the Canadian 2014 Olympic Lucky Loonie was produced during 2013 so that it could be released in time for the Olympics in early 2014. A better example are the various countries in the Eurozone, all of which spent years producing euro currency to prepare for the final changeover in 2002 - some countries and mints honestly dated their coins with the year of production (so you can find French euros dated 1999 - when I was quite a lot younger and in Europe, I was convinced I had found an ultra-rare French pattern coin because of this date), others were making 2002-dated coins in 1999.

So, when Latvia transitioned from the lats to the euro on January 1, 2014, euro coins were produced during 2013 but dated 2014, so they could be distributed before the changeover. Can you see where I'm going with this? One more country has recently adopted the euro - so I present to you...

Lithuania, 1 euro, 2015
Pillar of the Community
United States
1254 Posts
 Posted 01/19/2015  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add The Silver Searcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First Coin! Let's hope this thread gets farther than the others!
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So how is it possible to get 2015...
Sneaky!

I will allow it, if that is indeed your coin. If not, we will still need one posted to move on.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5489 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mcshilling to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope this is good for 2015

Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I call that a winner!

Keep posting those 2015 coins for the next twelve hours and fifteen minutes.
Learn More...
Canada
9449 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
jbuck, you will LOVE this one!!

I do own one, but looking to snag a couple more for my kids.

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Learn More...
United States
94141 Posts
 Posted 01/20/2015  2:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
jbuck, you will LOVE this one!!
Sorry, what were you saying? I had to find a bucket.

Just teasing.

Or am I?

Seriously, very nice. Do all the teams get one or just the Canadian ones? I suppose I could go look for myself.
Page: of 245 Previous TopicReplies: 3,662 / Views: 235,390Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05