Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades. Looking For 480s

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 61
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:32 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
With dated coinage at a premium during several centuries, it is not possible to always find a coin from a specific year. But there are many coins where the minting period of undated coins is known, either because the issuer is known or from records. So let's see how far we can go down history.

Let's use similar rules to the one used in the "How far back can we go" threads in the main coin forum.

1. You must own the coin.
2. You must post a photo of the actual coin you own.
3. Coins need to be dated or for undated coins the minting period must start in the active decade.
4. The active decade changes at midnight (CCF time) once a coin has been posted with a date falling into the decade or an undated coin with a minting period of not more than 10 years starting in the active decade.
For undated coins please include information on the minting period.
This sound a little complicated, so I will try to post the active decade shortly after midnight each day.
5. Please only one coin per post (to ease page loads).
6. Please let someone else post before posting a second coin on a day.

For all those who have their coins on a hosting site, using a link to the image is okay. But please put the 'date' relevant information into your post.

Let's hope we can see plenty different coins covering a lot of history.

And let's start with 1591-1600.

Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1591-1600:

3 Silvergroschen 1595 from the Grand-Duchy of Lithuania, under King Sigismund III of Poland
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  01:57 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see you started this thread, working from this end it's going to take a long time before I can post anything.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  02:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't you have some Hungarian coinage?
It doesn't matter how long the minting period is, just that it does start in the relevant decade.
While this might not move on the thread, it allows for more diversity to be seen.
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  02:09 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing before the 1100's in Hungarian. I might have a dated Sigismund, I'll have to check my data base.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2645 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  05:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For a bit more variety, a coin with a date in an unusual calendar...

Tsardom of Russia silver kopek, Boris Feodorovich (Godunov), KG 193, (7)10[7] AM (1598/99 AD)

Yes, the last digit of the date is not visible on my coin. So I present to you Kleshchinov-Grishin page 47 (for the attribution) and page 42 (English explanation of the date).

The calendar era itself had a long history by then, coming from the Byzantines; but, to the best of my knowledge, it was only ever used for coinage dates during two brief periods in Russia (that is, for pretty much the entirety of the Time of Troubles, 1596-1612 or so, and in the late 1690s under Peter).

Sorry for the awful photos; the coin is heavily tarnished to a very dark color, isn't particularly large in size, and the camera wasn't a very good one either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  05:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1591K-B Hungarian Denar King Rudolph I.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4721 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i'll jump in when we hit the "70's".
Learn More...
United States
22338 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  10:41 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is dated but not visible.

Sigismund III
1587-1632
SIG III DG REX PO D LI
SOLIDVS CIVI REGENS (date)
Schilling
17 mm x 1 gram
Gum 1431

Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one with a slightly clearer picture. A 1593K-B Hungarian Denar King Rudolph I.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
519 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  12:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add o-train to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My only chance to participate in this thread: 1598 3 Groschen

Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one 'january1may', I like different dating systems.
Welcome here 'EddieDiz', hope you have plenty more to contribute.
'o-train', very nice example and your Polish one is good for comparison with mine from Lithuania. Hope you will still come and look at other coins posted.

Will be moving on to 1581-1590 at midnight, hopefully going to see some more coins before that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 01/24/2015  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll throw one more up;a 1592K-B Hungarian Denar King Rudolph I.

Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1586K-B Hungarian Denar King Rudolph I.

Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
'EddieDiz' you just squeezed that one in.

Now we are in the 1581-1590 decade, so here comes:

1/2 Franc 1583F minted in Angers

and for those who want to know the complete legend, it is

Obverse: HENRICVS.III.D.G.FRANC.ET.POL.REX
Reverse: +SIT.NOMEN.DOMINI.BENEDICTVM.C

Postscript:

and for beating me for the first coin in this decade
Edited by Medieval
01/25/2015 12:07 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
861 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2015  12:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1585K-B Hungarian Denar King Rudolph I.

Page: of 61 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05