Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Walking Back In Time From 1600 To Antiquity By Decades. Looking For 460s

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 945 / Views: 86,857Next Topic
Page: of 63
Pillar of the Community
United States
1199 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ratio411 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. They are very inexpensive. That explains how I have some! LoL
But for them to be inexpensive, there must be more of them, or a higher
survival rate. That comes back around to the heart of my question/comment.
Don't you agree?
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are various reasons, but with the collector population on this site the reason 'Ancientnoob' gave is the key one.
As per other reasons:

A lot of small coinage from other countries from before 1600 was undated.
Mintage levels were not as high for many of the German, Italian and French coin issuing agencies.
Most of the copper coinage from Spain was withdrawn or revalued with later dates.

Hopefully we will see a diversity in this thread because people can show their coins which are not dated (as in the "How far back can we go" threads) once the start decade of their minting is reached.
Edited by Medieval
01/26/2015 12:48 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without any scholarly research on the topic and speaking only from my (elbow) experience and speaking generally, the coins of eastern Europe just don't command the same consumer interest as say coins of England or France, while all in the great scheme of things are common coins. I have noticed that figurative designs on thin flans, don't hold up well, especially when Western Europe's coins have a long tradition of being clipped, cut and otherwise butchered, this happens less so in Eastern European coins. So yes, survival (in condition) could also be a driving factor. I think is is less of a factor its, because they are less popular among the collectors. England for example, had huge empire both in population and geography, so there is social influence in many locations thus proportionally more interest in the coinage.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here a coin giving credence to the 'condition' argument brought forward. Many English issues of the 16th century are quite unattractive because of the weak strike. Look at this battered coin:

Threepence 1578 with Greek cross mintmark from Elizabeth I.

If this coin would not have a clear visible date I didn't have, I certainly wouldn't have spent money on it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
510 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  06:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davidrj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another double tournois from France 1580 G (Poitiers)

Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  06:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here an example of the coin type with the highest mintage which was started in this decade:

"Wan-Li T'ung-Pao" from the reign of Ming emperor Shen Tsung (1573-1619)
Pillar of the Community
United States
964 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  06:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EddieDiz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1577K-B Hungarian Denar,King Maximilian II.

Valued Member
United States
220 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thryan9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

1579 Maastricht, Netherlands, 16 Stuiver. Siege coinage-Emergency Money issued June, 1579 by the Dutch rebels. Third and final issue before the capture of the city. The Spanish under the Prince of Parma beseiged Maastricht from 12th March until the city was captured on 28 th June 1579.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
8093 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  07:47 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Queen Elizabeth I sixpence from England:

Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  07:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice and historically interesting piece 'thryan9'.
And what an excellent Sixpence 'NumisRob', just compare it to the Threepence from the same year I posted above.

Hopefully other members from the United Kingdom (ie those who rarely leave their own forum) will also chime in with their treasures other the next weeks/months.
Learn More...
United States
95801 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see this thread has finally started. I do not have anything to contribute, but will be watching and enjoying the show.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add josephrg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 8 reales coin minted in Mexico city 1571-1589 It is 36 mm and 26.4g Don't know much more about this coin.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  7:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Elizabeth I milled 6p AD 1562.

Pillar of the Community
United States
4749 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that's a great coin AN!

I'm finally in, but low grade. sorry about the pics.

spian
philip ii
1578-1621
2 maravedis (i think?)
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2015  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a changing of the guards in Hungary in this decade, so here is:

Denar 1579 KB from King Rudolf of Hungary (also Holy Roman Emperor as Rudolf II), minted in Kremnica
Page: of 63 Previous TopicReplies: 945 / Views: 86,857Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05