Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Few More Folli Of The The Tetrachy

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:01 pm Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could not resist these two with Military style busts. Generalissimo's of the first rank !

Diocletian follis
10.09 grams 25-9mm
uncertain mint

This coin was advertised as being London mint but the portrait style is curiously like a pre-reform radiate.

Bobbyhelmet might have an 'expert' opinion.

I hope !

Constantius as Caesar
9.87grams 27-9mm
uncertain mint possibly London

I was attracted to the style of this one and paid more than I normally would.

I also was looking to spend any of the excess funds I had in my paypal account !
After my recent dispute with eBay went nowhere I remembered that I had made my ill fated purchase (iPad) with my credit card !
The bank formally known as GE Capital was rather surprised by my tale and immediately refunded my money !
Of course paypal decided to take the case under review. Something they had refused to do previously.
Funny how them having to pay out (to GE) suddenly made them notice something !

Ha !

The lesson here is always pay by credit card. You get protection beyond what the lying swine at eBay offer.
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Learn More...
United States
22890 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two excellent coins.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins, Constantius looks really mean on that coin or should I say 'FVRIVS'?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For some reason Constantius always reminds me of William the Marshal (1st Earl of Pembroke)
He has a medieval look about him doesn't he ?

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Med and FR. Probably because he was a mean "yoink" :). Remember he killed his wife, son, nephew, and brother in law.
Lovely coins FR, both of which are keepers.
Edited by Augustus Maximus
02/20/2015 08:15 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice indeed FR, great looking coins.
Pillar of the Community
3772 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Medieval to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Remember he killed his wife, son, nephew, and brother in law.

That was so commonplace in those times, barely noteworthy.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
688 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tenbobbit to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice coins FVRIVS
The Constantius has that " who farted " look to him
I particularly like the Diocletian though, that is a double/triple strike that I am seeing on the reverse or am I tired ?
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hardly. The last Emperor to kill his wife before Constantine the "Great" was Caracalla back in the 200's and we know what the people of Rome thought of him.The murder of his son and wife raised a alot of eyes in the Empire, which is why when Constantine relized his error after the fact he sent his mother Helena with a "blank check" to the holy land to distribute to the people and aristocracy, she also founded a few churches while there.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like a triple strike to me.

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think we have some confusion between father and son going on here !

Constantius I had but one son. Constantine I aka the Great.
Christian saint and son of the deified Constantius I.
Interesting combo.

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed on the triple strike. I can see it clearly on the left and right of the good strike. And if I'm not mistaken I think I see a double strike on the obverse, although that could be the lighting.

They're both great coins. I find that folles from the tetrarchy to be very well preserved. I think the silver coating protects them to some degree.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You are right FR. At first glance I thought it was one of those rare pre devaluation Folli of Constantine I. I apologize for that.
My earlier point still stands though. Constantine I was a very ruthless and violent man more so than the average Emperor.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  10:02 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You left out the 'haircut' he gave his father inlaw Maximianus ! Around 12 inches off the top !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Forgot about that
Pillar of the Community
Canada
579 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2015  10:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Whizb4ng to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome spending spree. I am envious of all of almost all of the coins you have posted.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05