Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Potential 1st Ancient Purchase (Need Advice)

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  3:50 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Manning19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I am looking to make my first purchase...Would love to pick up this Augustus AR Denarius coin, but not sure on the value and grading...would love for some feedback from you guys...and to see the mental process you might would go through if you were trying to decide if you would make this purchase.

Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  3:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a nice coin in my opinion. I would pay at most around $220-250 for this example.
What is the dealer asking for it?
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Manning19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great to know...might need to apply the brakes and keep patiently shopping...in my mind, it would be cool for my 1st ancient to be an Augustus.

It is in an auction ending today, there are currently no bidders, and the reserve is set at $300. It is NGC rated "Ch VF" for whatever that is worth...

Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One, I would ask the guys here at CCF.

Two, I would look for price comps. Look on VCoins and then look at eBay sold listings.

You are off to a good start.
Pillar of the Community
Italy
1790 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  4:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Augustus Maximus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$300 Is a little high in my opinion. The coin that is my avatar was around $270.
Though I am a strong believer in "a coin is worth what one is willing to pay".
Pillar of the Community
United States
2044 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  4:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gil-galad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$300 might be about right for a slabbed coin, it could go way higher around ending time. Around $200+ for raw coins.
Learn More...
United States
22904 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For your first potential purchase this is a nice coin and a safe bet because of it being slabbed provide that it's slabbed by NGC or approved service. Normal we don't like ancient coins slabbed. The $300 is a bit high because you are paying extra for the slab. This coin in VF grade which I would give it should sell in the $200-$230 range.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Manning19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the insight guys! This forum is such a huge help to a newb...

As far as estimating prices...do y'all just have a great feel for that, or is there a database/website/book or something along those lines you consult?

Before posting the thread, I went and searched VCoins for this coin in a similar grade and appearance, as well as completed eBay auctions...it might just be me, but I felt that Vcoins was very expensive...they were selling coins in much worse shape for similar prices and even more. After looking there, I felt this would be a good deal, but eBay had smaller sale prices, closer to the 350-400 range.

Pillar of the Community
United States
5155 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ancientnoob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bought this coin for my Father in Law for Christmas a few years back. It is a great coin, you will be pleased for sure!
Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can't remember who said it in another recent ancient thread, but he said it well. Coins listed at fixed prices for sale are priced at a point that nobody in the world has purchased it so far.

That's why I like auctions with no reserve and starting bids well under their value. The market will determine its worth. It isn't a fixed thing though. I watch several items that are sold regularly on eBay and the price can vary from day to day.

I watch this one seller that sells great rolls of Buffalo nickels. Generally they go for around $100 a roll. AU type coins. Common dates, but nice looking nickels. Sometimes his rolls will only fetch $60 and sometimes they will go for $120. You never know. I just try and watch and be there if the deal is worth it.

Short version, patience is profitable.

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Manning19 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Here are the VCoin comps I found:

For $385

For $395

For $480

Pillar of the Community
United States
689 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuckeyeCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is that same coin in an auction with no reserve and a starting bid of one euro. 9 days to go, but I bet it goes much cheaper than the comps I have seen so far. It is in worse shape though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIONYSOS-Au...em5b0eebca72

Pillar of the Community
United States
513 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chuy1530 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up one of this type for about $75 (can't remember exactly) about a year ago.

Of course mine is broken in half and glued back together ;)

I see one on Vcoins that is on reserve for about $240 in comparable condition. I'd consider $300 to be a bit much to pay for this one and would suggest continuing to look for a while, or if you really like it setting a limit and sticking to it so around the end time of the auction you don't 'well it's only $10 more!'ing yourself into paying $400 for it.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
3626 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pishpash to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Or if you are REALLY keen on this particular coin, you could always make the dealer an offer.
Learn More...
United States
22904 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a good source to use to track what coins are selling for. http://www.acsearch.info/
Pillar of the Community
United States
4732 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2015  10:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chrsmat71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i always compare at vcoins and acsearch before I buy.

the price doesn't seem to be unreasonable.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05