Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With WW2 Era Japanese Bond

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,074Next Topic  

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2015  11:37 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
HI
I recently acquired what I believe is a WW2 era Japanese bond. Please let me know if it is an original, and any information you can provide about it would be appreciated.
Thanks you

Valued Member
United States
347 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add manymore to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is additional information here.

I do not collect Japanese bonds and am unable to authenticate yours.

Gary

Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add publius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take a strong magnifying glass to it. I found a counterfeit of a Chinese note which looked OK to the eye, but under magnification, proved to be a four-colour halftone print. The original should have litho-work consisting of distinct, continuous fine lines, without dots, and the underprint colour should be one ink, not multiple inks. As usual, not finding the defects will not prove it genuine, but finding any of them will definitely prove it counterfeit.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2015  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks to be good to me. Here are a couple of magnified photo's. Let me know what you think.
I selected 3 different inks, and area's of the note for photographing.

Pillar of the Community
United States
608 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  12:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add publius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That certainly looks like genuine work. Which, I have to advise, only means it isn't a member of the particular class of counterfeit I was referring to, but at least that makes the odds better. If it was counterfeited by the US government, as some currency issues were, it might be impossible to tell, but I've never heard of counterfeit Japanese war bonds. Someone with more specialized knowledge might be able to provide better advice.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the help. Hopefully someone will be able to provide additional information.
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  01:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is a Greater East Asia War Discounted Treasury Bond issued by the Japanese Ministry of Finance. 50 yen, issue 11, October 20, 1943. Schwan-Boling Catalog #1132. The bond sold for 70% of face value (maturity in 1953). It should be lithographed and have a three character watermark in large characters (o-kura-sho; right to left, each about 3 cm tall) across the lower center of the bond. 18.1 to 18.2 cm x 12.8 cm. Hard to tell anything about authenticity in a scan, the colors look vaguely OK.

The one linked by manymore is an issue 13 (I think scarcer).

If available, consult the Schwan-Boling catalog (World War II Remembered).
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  08:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It does have a watermark, but it is hard to photograph. Any idea as to value ?
Thank you for the help.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  09:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture of the watermark.

United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  10:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That was the best picture I could get of the watermark.
I hope this looks right.
Any idea as to value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
663 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lettow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is no indication these were counterfeited or that there are modern copies afloat. Value is about $20.00.
Pillar of the Community
United States
573 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Susuman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Value on this: Perhaps a steal at $25, $50 is ok, but would have to think real hard at $100. The 50 yen seems much harder to find than other denominations.
United States
46 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2015  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cerick to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the help. I appreciate the assistance and information.
Valued Member
United States
300 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jay1234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a very similar 20 Yen war bond. Not in very great shape though...

Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 2,074Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05