Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lindbergh Ransom Money

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
1152 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2015  11:50 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Been reading up on a list of crimes of the centuries and read about the Lindbergh kidnapping.

Then came across the following paragraphs:

Quote:
Payment of the ransom

The ransom was packaged in a wooden box that was custom-made in the hope that it could later be identified. The ransom money itself was made up with a number of gold certificates that were to be withdrawn from circulation in the near future. It was hoped that anyone passing large amounts of gold notes would draw attention to himself and help aid in identifying the abductors.[5][15] Also, while the bills themselves were not marked, the serial number of each bill was recorded. Some sources credit Frank J. Wilson for pressing for this[16] while others credit Elmer Lincoln Irey.[17][18]

The next evening, April 2, Condon was given a note by an unknown cab driver. Condon met "John" and told him that they had been able to raise only $50,000. The man accepted the money and gave Condon a note. The child was supposedly in the care of two women who, according to the note, were innocent.

Quote:
Tracking the ransom money

Investigation of the case was soon in the doldrums. There were no developments and little evidence of any sort, so police turned their attention to tracking the ransom payments. A pamphlet was prepared with the serial numbers on the ransom bills, and 250,000 copies were distributed to businesses mainly in New York City.[14][15] A few of the ransom bills turned up in scattered locations, some as far away as Chicago and Minneapolis, but the people spending them were never found.
An example of a 1928 series $10 Gold Certificate

As per Executive Order 6102, Gold Certificates were to be turned in by May 1, 1933.[29] A few days before the deadline, a man in Manhattan brought in $2,980 of the ransom money to be exchanged. The bank was busy and no one could remember anything specific about the person. He had filled out a required form, which gave his name as J. J. Faulkner. The address supplied was 537 West 149th Street in New York City.[15]

When authorities visited the address, they learned that no one named Faulkner had lived there - or anywhere nearby - for many years. U.S. Treasury officials kept looking and eventually learned that a woman named Jane Faulkner had lived at the address in question in 1913. She had moved after she married a German man named Giessler. The couple was tracked down, and both denied any involvement in the crime.

Would love to find one of the 250,000 pamphlets they handed out. Has anyone ever found a Lindbergh gold certificate? Is that a thing or has this never been tracked? It would be a very unique conversation starter to any collection.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1508 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2015  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Check matttheriley's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add matttheriley to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very tragic event! I was unaware of the Gold Certificate link. I wonder if any of the notes survived?
Check me out on eBay!
My Want List and My Trade List

Favorite Quote from Ridiculous eBay Listings: ## JUST LOOKING THIS ERROR ##
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2015  7:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 1922dubledie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My vary good friend Work's at the bank and when I told him I was a collector he told me that they had about 125000 dollars in 500 and 1000 dollar bills I am going to look at them and try to get them.
Pillar of the Community
1152 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2015  12:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CSOTUS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are $500 or $1,000 gold certificates, then you're talking about a numismatic value of over a half a million dollars, probably closer to 1 million.

I would go on a limb and say those aren't the bills you're talking about, but good luck.

Back on topic - has anyone read any articles on this? I am very interested in owning a certified gold certificate from this historic event. I believe the gold certificates were $20s and $10s but not exactly sure.
Pillar of the Community
Germany
645 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2015  07:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hajduk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi CSOTUS,
Here you can read something.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Hauptmann
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPECIAL-EDI...em3f4b9a2840
I think his problem was a bill like this one.

Edited by hajduk
05/23/2015 07:27 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05