Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have We Drained The Supply Of Collectable Coins?

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar of the Community

United States
828 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2015  11:43 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Lately it seems that I have had more boxes of coins where we find no keepers. I mostly do nickels, but recently added dimes. Still it seems the results are often either nothing found worth keeping, or one coin in a box found worth keeping. A box of nickels contains 2000 coins. A box of dimes contains 2500 coins. So out of that number, there are none or one worth keeping. Have we drained the supply of collectable coins, or am I just on a bad streak?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3176 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2015  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin roll hunting............what an incredible waste of time. Better off supporting your local coin dealers junk boxes.
Don't you guys realize banks and credit unions cringe when they see you guys coming? Coin handling has become far too expensive for them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1132 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  12:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CopperCastle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My teller sets aside customer wrapped rolls & seem to enjoy the small talk when I pick up boxes of cents.

It's none of their business why I buy change, but even if they cared... they do their job & seem genuinely happy to break the monotony of their day by not being forced to run deposit/withdrawal slips through a machine like the last 200 customers during my visit. Perhaps you should find a new bank Pacificoin...or atleast try your hand in CRH before posting in the "Coin Roll Hunting" subforum?

As for the OP's question...you gotta power through the dry spells. They come & go. Sometimes you get skunked for 5-6 boxes & then hit paydirt. It's like scratching off $9 worth of dollar scratchers & then you hit $10 on the 10th ticket...or $20.
Edited by CopperCastle
09/10/2015 12:57 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3176 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  02:15 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did the CRH thing fifty years ago when it was very productive.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12674 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did the CRH thing fifty years ago when it was very productive.

Yeah , Me Too ! at that time there was no such thing as boxes or what some guys call bricks.
the banks had either rolls or $50 FV bags. I always purchased cents & nickels because no one knew the mint would stop making 90% dimes, quarters, and halves after 1964.
any way , you guys today will be to be back in those times.
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
4450 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you looked at the dimes with an eye towards high grade FT Roosies?
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2918 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  08:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, all coins are collectable! At least at some point they will be... Time determines that...
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
786 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...Have we drained the supply of collectable coins, or...

Don't worry; the U.S. Mint will be making more coins next year and for years to come.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1737 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would ask the question; Are you able to search a new bank? I have my normal pick up banks and I am doing well with them, but every now and then I drive somewhere new and spot a bank, I did not know was there, and give them a try.

I am lucky to live in a large metro area where there are tons of branches and multiple different banks.

Do you only use one bank (US bank, BOA etc) or do you have multiple accounts? I have accounts at several banks, allowing me access to more banks.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lol - same thoughts over the last couple of boxes. But I was spoiled before that so maybe just hitting the low spot on a sine wave. I did ask for cents this time though. Giving nickels the month off.

As noted: variety hunting helps to even out the playing field. The 2004 Jefferson DDO was a bright spot in the last box and most valuable. Just depends.

Good luck on the next box Jon.
Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had quit getting rolls from the banks and credit unions by 2000. It seemed like it was drying up then, but looking at all of the finds posted in the 15 years since, I know that is not true. Perhaps it was just my area or the banks where I was getting the coin, but one has to assume that in a finite supply you will eventually run out.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know you've got a lot more experience in this than me, but it's a volume, timing and luck game. Sometimes you can get a solid roll of halves and then you might go on a 6 month streak of skunks. From following your results over past 1.5 years I'd imagine it could be you feeling the effects of hitting the nickels hard and now not needing many keepers. Try a different denomination to mix it up, dimes give me a headache. Just yesterday instead of getting a box of nickels I got 10 rolls nickels, 20 rolls of cents, 4 rolls of dimes for $50. Found a dateless buffalo in the mix, lots of Canadian pennies and nothing in the dimes, but it was a fun search.

If only this thread and Internet were there 50 years ago, I'm sure no one would be searching anymore after seeing those days.
Pillar of the Community
United States
828 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  12:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ace,

I'm in a small town and have only found two banks here that are gladly willing to do boxes with me.

I am a selective collector. For dimes, I collect silver Rosies, Mercurys, and anything older. For nickels, I collect Jeffersons under 10M mintage, silvers, buffalos, libertys, and anything older.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1737 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  1:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would suggest taking a Coin hunting trip to another town.
Learn More...
United States
82381 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  2:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would suggest taking a Coin hunting trip to another town.
Not a bad idea. Keeping in mind that at some point one crosses a cost threshold that makes buying from coin dealers more rewarding.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1737 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  3:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
sure, but lots of people drive lots of places for other hobbies, golf, football/sports games, what's the difference?
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05