Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have We Drained The Supply Of Collectable Coins?

First page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 3,934Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
sure, but lots of people drive lots of places for other hobbies, golf, football/sports games, what's the difference?
That is rather my point. A lot of people search because the banks are closer than the nearest shop or show. Once one commits the time and money to travel, they may eventually have to consider getting more bang for that buck (especially if distance banks are just as dry).

Just keep an open mind is all.
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OspreyCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If only I could take a time machine to '64 and get loads of coins from the banks
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4054 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  5:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was finding more silver and collectibles last few years than I was back in the late 1970's.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
928 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  5:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add OspreyCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was finding more silver and collectibles last few years than I was back in the late 1970's.

Interesting... I wonder why that is?
Learn More...
United States
91042 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coins from many old coin jars have made back into circulation in the last seven years or so. Some of those jars were probably started when Kennedy was President.
Pillar of the Community
967 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the last two or three weeks I have picked up a 1983 1DR-001 Lincoln, over 3,800 wheat cents, four silver dimes, one of them being a very nice 1915 Barber and two quarter cuds all from bags searching. Then add in the other minor DDOs/DDRs and I can not complain. Still Lookin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1102 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add LibertyEagle20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
3800 wheats in 2-3 weeks is insane. How did you pull that off?
Pillar of the Community
United States
851 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JonNickelCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
ace,

I have and will continue to pick up boxes in other towns when I'm occasionally out of town during the day, but I'm still getting boxes from the same places that provide them in my town, ie Brinks and Garda.

To me it seems like what Nickelsearcher refers to as "Coin Obsolescence" is coming true quickly. In other words, the "good stuff" is being removed from circulation. It used to be that a good box of nickels yielded four keepers and an average box yielded two keepers. Now it seems like a good box yields two keepers and an average box yields one keeper. I've just started dimes and only found one silver in the first two boxes.

As for what someone suggested about buying coins from a dealer, that's not for me. The fun is in the hunt. It's the joy of discovery. There's none of that in buying coins.
Pillar of the Community
967 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I picked up 3 bags (15,000 cents) at one bank. The head teller told me that some old woman had died and that her family brought in a bunch of rolled cents. That is the most that I ever received at one time. Still Lookin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  10:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tip the teller: that was a nice haul!!
Pillar of the Community
967 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  10:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add still lookin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever I catch her out to lunch I buy it for her.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichioKaku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, we haven't drained the system of collectible coins. As elderly coin collectors pass away, younger spenders will spend their grandparent's change.
Valued Member
United States
374 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2015  11:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MichioKaku to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In fact, I would say that people that did coin roll hunting in the '80s and '90s are giving their change to their descendants, and they are giving their change to the bank. You could consider it an ecological balance, I guess!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4054 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In fact, I would say that people that did coin roll hunting in the '80s and '90s are giving their change to their descendants, and they are giving their change to the bank. You could consider it an ecological balance, I guess!
Ha ha yes, but only after we 'old timers' have searched it for silver, wheats, or errors today!
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
4809 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2015  06:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rackster to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You have the good juju all over you still lookin. That's the way to do it!
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 3,934Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05