Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1985 D Error Penny Zinc Or Steel

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 18,089Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  04:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gphx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found one of these too in circulation. Oddly it is also a 1985 D. Also nonmagnetic. Under magnification there are little blebs and streaks of silver colored metal on top of the struck design. It looks thinner than an ordinary cent so does not appear to have been plated which would make it thicker. A possible explanation is the copper was intentionally removed using electrolysis causing some zinc to redeposit on the face of the coin - presuming electrolysis would work that way!

Either that or three people finding specifically 1985 D pennies indicates something else is going on. That said the latter two of us probably searched on 1985 D pennies and got dropped right on this page while people with similar pennies of other years and mints did not.

In any case I'll probably wonder about it for the rest of my life and when I die someone going through my stuff can find it and take over. =)
Edited by gphx
01/25/2020 04:57 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36420 Posts
 Posted 01/25/2020  04:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF gphx.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  01:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Toner23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also have the same coin
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36420 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  04:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toner23,
to CCF.. As already stated, it is not an error coin. If not environmental damage,someone did it on purpose and used the same date coins.
John1
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 06/24/2020  5:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Clovertron to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just found this penny roll hunting in NM.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  12:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rumplestiltskin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dont believe it's someone tampering with coloring its gotta be a mint error... I today received a 1985 D mint mark Lincoln penny that is gray and weighs 2.5 gs. I'd post a pic of it but I cant figure out the photo editor for file sizing. As soon as I figure it out I'll post the pics!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
36420 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  05:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. Normal weight is 2.5 grams for a copper plated zinc core cent, +/- .10 mint tolerance. If it was missing the copper plating it would weight less.
John1
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2536 Posts
 Posted 10/25/2020  05:59 am  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Here's what you would expect a 1985-D with no copper plating to look like. You can still see the mint luster on this one.

The dark color on the coins posted here shows what you would expect from chemical removal of the plating as it continued to damage and dull the surfaces of the zinc core of the coin.

Edits: Spelling and such. Sorry, it's too early.
The first US coin motto was found on a 1792 half disme and read: "LIB (erty) PAR (ent) OF SCIENCE & INDUSTRY"

Edited by Yokozuna
10/25/2020 06:16 am
Learn More...
United States
92152 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4004 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
its gotta be a mint error..

Famous last words.

The dull grey colour is a dead give away that the cooper coating has environmentally striped away leaving the zinc core exposed. We see these all the time, especially metal detector finds or chemistry class experiments. No mint errors here, just post mint damage.
ša va bien aller
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 18,089Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.75 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05