Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Think I Am Losing The Coin Bug!

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,773Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2016  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John Bonzo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds like a bit of a burn-out to me...this happens to me as well every couple years, but I always keep going back. I think stepping back and focusing on other things (or saving for a big purchase) for a while is not bad bad thing, and you will likely get an itch in a few months to start looking through your coins and feel more excitement about it again!
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2016  2:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CLS12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sort of going through this right now partly because my favorite shop closed about a year ago. I've downsized the random albums and sets I started (Washington quarters, my 2nd merc album, Franklin halves.. Etc) and coins I had acquired that weren't of interest to me and focusing on what is... 7070, Cents, Mercs and itching to buy a 7172 It's crazy how much one can accumulate in 3+ years of collecting. I downsized about $1k off my collections of areas I wasn't as interested in and starting to reinvest reignites the flame.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7943 Posts
 Posted 10/17/2016  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Around the year 2000 I was losing interest in coins. The UK was issuing more and more new commemoratives, the designs were bland and it was becoming difficult to obtain them at face value. I'd completed my bronze and silver type sets of GB coins from Victoria to Elizabeth II and earlier coins were prohibitively expensive in decent condition... Then the Euro came along, and I suddenly found that for the price of a day trip to Calais (nearer and cheaper than London for me to visit), I could collect coins from 12 different countries! Despite the controversy regarding the establishment of a common European monetary policy, the Euro definitely renewed my interest in numismatics!
Valued Member
299 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add freddo30 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quote : I think I am losing the coin bug! : I don't think it ever goes away completely ; certainly like everything else in the universe interest has ebb and flow, the pendulum swings back and forth, it is cyclic, any other cliché phrase like that. Regardless, there will be things you like and things you don't. Some coins will never interest me and I'm sure many collectors share that viewpoint.
Collecting is often opportunity combined with knowledge and preparation - you can't count on something wondrous every day - so don't confuse the lack of stimulating material and that creeping repetitious feeling dim the luster ... plus, the nature of the beast has changed greatly since I began collecting ca.1960 ; rotation of interests is vital towards maintaining an interest in the hobby (and there are other things in life which compete for your time).
My methods of collecting have undergone several fundamental changes over time : the last LCS in the county closed this month (there were once 9) , the state (Ohio) neatly terminated the coin show business a decade or so ago by the imposition of sales tax against coin purchases (up to 8.5%)in the wake of a state-owned coin collection debacle as punishment towards all things numismatic.
Now I am unable to attend national coin shows due to health issues (never did like) the hassles and cost of travelling so I'm left with the internet - what a change over 1960 - thankfully it is useful and has helped disrupt the "good ole' boy" network of yesteryear. And yes, I collect leper coins like the guy suggested.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,773Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05