Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My date set of early U.S. silver dollars  

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:22 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Another member posted his set of early silver dollar, and one of those who responded asked if I would post my set. The easiest way to see my set is to access the NGC registry, but even I have trouble doing that cold turkey on a computer that is not familiar to me. If too many of you get bored with this, or think that I'm just showing off, I'll stop. Here are my 1795 coins.

Flowing Hair This one is a PCGS EF-40 although it's probably a little better than that since this variety is generally found with a less than perfect strike.

Draped Bust Robert Scott's Draped Bust design first appeared on the silver dollar in 1795. The first one had the bust placed too far to the left. This is the centered variety. I'd like to get the "off center" one, but the right coin has not come along yet.

Retired Dealer and long time collector
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my 1796 silver dollar. This was the first example that I acquired for the type back in the mid 1980s. It has been dipped, which makes it less desirable these days, but it has a lot of detail. NGC graded it AU-50.

This 1797 silver dollar is a really super example although PCGS only graded it as an EF-45. The surfaces are choice and original. I wish all of my early dollars could be like this one. The dealer from whom I purchased it to me that it came from a collector who was very fussy about what he bought. Unfortunately he passed on and the family sold his collection.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In 1798 the mint replaced the Small Eagle desing with the Heraldic Eagle motif. I chose to get both types. The Small eagle coins are rather hard to find. This one is graded VF-35, and I counted myself lucky to have found it. Most coin on that grade level don't look this nice.

The 1798 Heraldic Eagle dollar is a better die variety, B-17 or BB-101 in Dave Bowers book. This is the plate coin from Dave's first two volume work on the early dollars, and he listed it as among the finest known in that source. In his second book, it dropped off the radar screen. Note the die cracks on the left side of the obverse. This die failed early during production. The grade is EF-40

Edited by billjones
01/11/2017 09:36 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
968 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Truly beautiful coins, billjones, thank you for sharing them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4727 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I spotted this 1799 dollar at coin club meeting in the mid 1970s. An older collector had it. I really liked the piece, but he didn't want to sell.

Some years later, he and wife wanted to go a trip to Bermuda and needed some money. He wanted AU money for the coin, but I it graded EF-45. Finally we decided that he would send it to ANACS when that company was still owned by the ANA. ANACS would decide the grade. It came back as an EF-45, and I bought the coin for that price. Years later I cracked it out and sent it to NGC. They graded it AU-55. Such are the ways of "grade-flation."

The 1799 is the most common date in the early dollar series. The dollar was the only silver coin the mint issued bearing that date. The dollar also the most requested coin by those who deposited silver at the mint to be turned into U.S. coinage.

This 1800 dollar has quite a history. It is the discovery specimen of the Bolender 1800-20 die variety. Bolender included has the plate coin in his classic work on early dollar. There are perhaps 50 examples of this variety known, and this still tied for the finest known example. The "old time" grade was EF-45. Today it is in an NGC AU-58 holder.

Edited by billjones
01/11/2017 4:38 pm
Valued Member
United States
132 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dlangs56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not bored, not showing off. Very nice!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
1801 is one of the "sleeper dates" in the early dollar series. It is the scarcest date among the Heraldic Eagle from 1798 to 1803.

The strike on this piece was a bit light which cost it some detail. There is a fair amount of mint luster left in the devices. PCGS graded it EF-45

This 1802 dollar is my highest grade early dollar. PCGS graded it AU-58, and it is "all there." This is supposed to be a common date, but I don't see large numbers of them at the shows. Some day I would like to buy an 1802 over 1, but so far the right coin has not been available to me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This marathon ends with an 1803 dollar. I have kept going because Photobucket is cooperating, which is not always the case. This is another "common date" that is not seen that often at the shows. Most of the early dollars you see are dated 1799 or 1800. PCGS graded this one AU-53.

President Thomas Jefferson ended the coin of the silver dollar and the ten dollar gold piece in 1804 in an effort to stem the flow of gold and silver out of The United States. The U.S. would not issue another silver dollar for circulation until 1836.

No 1804 dated silver dollars were issued in 1804. The pieces were see today with that date were issued starting in 1834 for diplomatic purposes and again in the 1850s to satisfy collector demand.
In 1836 Christian Gobrecht designed the Liberty Seated motif and introduced on the silver dollar. The reverse had a magnificent flying eagle. A gold dollar was also considered, but the Director of the mint, Robert Patterson, was dead set against it. He though that it was demeaning for The United States to issue a tiny gold coin, which he viewed a national embarrassment. Patterson won the argument ... that time. Here is a "coin turn" original issue Gobrecht Dollar. This one is graded PR-62.

And here is the 1836 pattern gold to complete the circle. This one is graded PR-64.

Learn More...
United States
47714 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A very nice set!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2976 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:13 am  Show Profile   Check Imthealphaomega's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Imthealphaomega to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jesus Bill I'd love to see your entire collection, very nice early silver dollars. How many years did it take you to assemble such a collection?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1800 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:39 am  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No, I don't think it's bragging. I could look at those for hours.
ANA Member since 12/2015
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20272 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would be proud to have all of them beauties in my collection,my address is...
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
643 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add schmidty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Truly amazing collection. Thank you very much for sharing!
United States
44 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  10:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Jackpot777 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A wonderful set alive with History.
Congrats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1499 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add billjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How many years did it take you to assemble such a collection?

I have been a type collector since the mid 1960s. My first Bust Dollar was a 1799, which I bought circa 1969. I sold that piece and upgraded so the first one I purchased in the set was the 1800 in 1976 at ANA Convention that held in New York City. After that I bought the other two type coins (Flowing Hair and Draped Bust, Small Eagle).

I got the idea of forming this collection about 6 years ago, and it took me two or three years to finish it.

The early dollars are actually the easiest early silver coins to collect. I have collected the early half dimes by Red Book variety for a long time - more than 40 years. They are MUCH scarcer than the early dollars.

With early dollars, you can put together a date set fairly quickly. Getting the money and finding pieces that have not been "coin doctored" are the tough parts.
Edited by billjones
01/11/2017 4:45 pm
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05