Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is this an 1852 O Quarter?  

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  4:02 pm Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What do you guys think? The O seems to be in the exact location of an 1852 O.

Weight: 5.1 grams

I know, I know, I know, "Don't take pictures of coins in flips!" But I have had these pictures for a while, and didn't want to take more pictures unless someone asked for them.
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!

Visit my eBay store, I have lots of BINS and auction style listings:
http://stores.ebay.com/In-God-We-Tr...and-Currency
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
14065 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I give, but most curious. Tough date! Is it possible to identify a coin simply by the MM position?
"It's amazing the things people would rather have than money."

Edited by Coinfrog
03/20/2017 8:05 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:41 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My name is Devin, and I have been collecting now for around 2 years. I love early American coppers. I set up at coin shows and sell on eBay with my dad (I own most of the coins we sell, and he owns most of the currency), and most of all... I have fun!

Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 03/20/2017  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't know. The mintmark matches perfectly but it's hard to tell for sure.
I am Omegaraptor, the Seated Liberty Enthusiast. Some of you may recognize me. If anyone needs to know the date on a partial dated 19th Century coin, I am the person to ask.
Valued Member
United States
271 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  02:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aron Green to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No way to verify the date; but the eagle does look like it's laying an egg.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5915 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  07:35 am  Show Profile   Check TypeCoin971793's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TypeCoin971793 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is it in the exact location for other dates? Have you checked each year and each New Orleans reverse die from 1840 to 1860 and systematically ruled them out? If not, your logic in identifying the date on this coin in flawed.
Life is like a box of chocolates. A cheap, thoughtless, perfunctory gift that nobody ever asks for. Unreturnable because all you get back is another box of chocolates. So you're stuck with this undefinable whipped mint crap that you mindlessly wolf down when there's nothing else left to eat. Sure, once in a while there's a peanut butter cup or an English toffee. But they're gone too fast and the taste is... fleeting. So, you end up with nothing but broken bits filled with hardened jelly and teeth-shattering nuts. And if you're desperate enough to eat those, all you got left is an empty box filled with useless brown paper wrappers.
Edited by TypeCoin971793
03/21/2017 07:37 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  10:28 am  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Have you checked each year and each New Orleans reverse die from 1840 to 1860 and systematically ruled them out?

Perfect! I will do that now!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  10:42 am  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ahhhhhh, there are quite a few years it might be! Do you think I should use COTWs method of treating silver?

Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd like to see an overlay of all dates. Might be a good project for the spring break.

I think I can see a 5 in the date, which also appears to be quite large.

The 1852-O quarter has a large date. I think this could be it.
I am Omegaraptor, the Seated Liberty Enthusiast. Some of you may recognize me. If anyone needs to know the date on a partial dated 19th Century coin, I am the person to ask.
Edited by Omegaraptor
03/21/2017 10:54 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I rubbed it on a piece of paper and a 5 showed up!

Now I will try to find the 2!

Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I rubbed it on a piece of paper and a 5 showed up!

Now I will try to find the 2!

Nice! Can you post pics?

Does rubbing the coin on paper damage it? I've tried using a King George III halfpenny as a pocket piece, and the date (1807) showed up faintly!

Also, I can usually tell the date from the shape of the 5.
Edited by Omegaraptor
03/21/2017 11:09 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, it will make the coin shiny.

I learned it from a dealer with Flying Eagle cents.

One minute you have a no date flying eagle, the next you have a bold 1858.

I am starting to see the last digit. It looks like a 2 or a 3. But it can't be a 3 because it doesn't have rays.

Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, tell us if it is a 2.

That's one of the toughest dates in the series besides the CCs, and that's saying a lot in a series where half the coins are key dates - Mintage 96000 with about 400 surviving examples. (PCGS Coinfacts)

In FR-02 there is an auction result that sold for $179. I think yours might be worth getting slabbed if it is a 52-O.

And hey, maybe the FE cents trick could be the secret to dateless SLQs.
Edited by Omegaraptor
03/21/2017 11:15 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check coinlover1899's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinlover1899 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am pretty sure it is a 2. I am about to watch a movie with family. So will probably take pictures afterwards or tomorrow morning.

Valued Member
United States
269 Posts
 Posted 03/21/2017  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Omegaraptor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am pretty sure it is a 2. I am about to watch a movie with family. So will probably take pictures afterwards or tomorrow morning.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1556 Posts
 Posted 03/22/2017  12:08 am  Show Profile   Check coin197's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coin197 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Time for another shipment to ANACS? Well, once your last order comes back!
ANA Member since 12/2015
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05