Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question about unusual coinage materials/Post your Unusual Materials Coins!

Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 09/07/2018  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes indeed. It came so close to meeting your standards, but just failed them. (That is to say, they made them after the bank closings were announced, but the banks opened before they were made so they ended up being souvenirs rather than circulating.) Size is 29 mm and a hefty 3.5 mm thick; weight is an even 4 g. Dowmetal is about 30% lighter than aluminum.
Learn More...
United States
63648 Posts
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 09/08/2018  07:15 am  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This isn't one of mine but it is something interesting that I came across recently. I'm not really sure how to classify this. It is either a box or a commemorative medal and a box. It is a sixteenth century snuff box made out of pressed animal horn with a commemorative medal made of horn as the lid. Link below:

http://www.historicmedals.com/viewI...22&b=4&img=A
Edited by casualcoincollector
09/08/2018 07:16 am
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 09/09/2018  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you hadn't told me that, I don't think I would've guessed it. I guess I can see a little grain that might hint at it. It probably would be accepted as an entry to the Token Catalog...

Have you seen advertising whetstones? That's another thing I don't especially consider exonumia but are regularly sold as such. I don't have any myself but they're fairly easy to obtain.
Learn More...
United States
63648 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3182 Posts
 Posted 09/10/2018  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting medal casual.
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  12:48 am  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, below is the rough draft of the write up for this set. Please let me know what you think.

What I was trying to produce here was an article/write up that people that aren't interested in coins would find interesting and enjoyable to read. Please don't hesitate to give me your honest opinion and if it comes off as boring please let me know.

This is just a rough draft (so I didn't finish formatting it and at this juncture I'm mostly looking for content critique) and I will most likely be changing it quite a bit depending on the feedback that I receive. If you think that any of the information is wrong, some information is missing/needs to be expanded or unnecessary please let me know. All constructive criticism is welcome but also if you see any aspects of it that you particularly like please let me know about that as well.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments and please let me know if you have any questions for me.

Pillar of the Community
United States
7579 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  06:57 am  Show Profile   Check oih82w8's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add oih82w8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice write-up article!
oih82w8 = "Oh I Hate To Wait"
"I tell her coins keep me off the streets and out of the bars." Moe145
"WOO-SAA...WOo-SAa...Woo-Saa" (calm down)
"An individual who vacillates when there is need of action will find themself beyond the hope of future success."

My Virtual 7070 https://www.PCGS.com/SetRegistry/ty...album/142105
Valued Member
United States
403 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add thisistheshow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Very well done.
Learn More...
United States
63648 Posts
 Posted 09/11/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Ok, below is the rough draft of the write up for this set. Please let me know what you think.
Looks fantastic! I enjoyed reading and looking through it.
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 09/12/2018  11:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Consider how exactly you want to classify things. You added in the CP3 as its own entry. If you're going to make that distinction, you may want to consider a whole lot more. A lot of things are composites of things, and a lot more are bimetallics, and you have your major (and minor) alloys as well. Any interest in classifying those as their own, separate materials? It's a question I'll leave for you to decide.

On another note, how much did you pay for the Fred Plum vulcanite cent? They seem to be the most common vulcanite American token out there, I've seen high grade ones where the asking price is around $350. Is that a reasonable price? It is something I'm going to get -- eventually.
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 09/14/2018  05:19 am  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@oih82w8, thisistheshow, jbuck

Thanks!

@nautilator,

I hear what you are saying but I still think that I'm going to shy away from adding alloys that don't contain new metals. I think that the average person can wrap their mind around what an alloy is pretty easily once they have seen the various individual metals. As long as I have examples of all of the individual metals, I don't think that adding alloys is particularly necessary. There are a lot of various alloys out there. As far as the CP3 token goes I think that it is a bit harder for people to wrap there mind around what a composite material is. The goal of this set was for it to be a teaching set and if it becomes too expansive people may lose interest. Based on the comments that I received here I would assume that only a hand full of people actually bothered to read my entire rough draft. So, if I'm having trouble holding the attention of people that are really interesting in coins meaning the people here, then adding more pieces to the set probably is not the way to go. At this point, I'm actually more likely to remove pieces from the set that may prove to be unnecessary than adding new ones.

I ended up paying about $380 for the vulcanite civil war token already certified NGC MS63 but I'm not a good person to ask on that. I'm pretty sure that I overpaid for it. Just like I'm pretty sure that overpaid for a fair amount of the pieces in this set. This is because when I'm looking for something that is very specific and obscure it usually means that it is relatively rare. So, when I find a piece that I need and that I like, I don't know how long it may take for another one to come on to the market. This means that I have to factor in the time and effort that it would take to find a different one. When I factor that in I usually don't mind paying a little bit of a premium.
Edited by casualcoincollector
09/14/2018 05:51 am
Valued Member
United States
438 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2018  12:53 am  Show Profile   Check casualcoincollector's eBay Listings Check casualcoincollector's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add casualcoincollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So, here is something interesting that I just learned about the 1945 Canadian Chrome plated nickel. Apparently the border design around the reverse of the coin is Morse Code and translates to "We win when we work willingly".
Valued Member
United States
229 Posts
 Posted 09/29/2018  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've previously mentioned that the William Miller 1d and 2d are apparently the only easy-to-get bone tokens. Here's a set of some of the somewhat rarer ones.

And no, I don't know why they dyed the 1/2d red, but it's apparently normal for that specific one.

Learn More...
United States
63648 Posts
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.11 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05