Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Comparator?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  3:46 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Walker4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been sorting copper pennies (among other coin's) for awhile now. I really think this could pay off, but it's extremely tedious. I pretty sure I can build a sorter, the only problem I have, is I don't know a whole lot about the mechanics of a coin comparator. I know the basics of how they work, but I'm not sure which one's will work for copper?

Any body got any info on this?

I still want to look at the coppers, to sort them by decade, and get the wheats, but it would be alot easier if I didn't have to look at the zinc's to.

Any help?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  4:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a copper/zinc sorter on the market, I believe the manufacturer is Rydale. You can probably forget about building one though as it separates based on the electrical signature of the coins, not a mechanical separation like standard coin counters. Basically the same mechanism that vending machines use to reject slugs.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walker4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the peice I'm talking about, the comparator. You can get one for $20 to $50 buck's (alot cheaper than a couple hundred for a ryedale). I'm just not sure if they will all work for copper.

All you need is a comparator, a 12v battery, and some chute's and buckets.
Edited by Walker4
04/11/2008 4:56 pm
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  4:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-easy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...DAY.m238.lVI

thats 20 bucks, a complete ryedale starts at 400

i thinking about ordering one and trying to build one, the guts of the coin sorter is the comparator, the rest is just a feed system to pour coins into
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-easy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
now obviously it can't perform at the same level as the 400 dollar machine, but I think it might be worth a shot. I'm messaging the seller now about compatibility with copper/cents
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pennypusher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is that thing for sale on ebay? And could it really be rigged to sort pennies? -PP
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/11/2008  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-easy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i still haven't gotten a response, if I remember correctly I got that link from a guy on the copper penny hoarder forums (i forget the real name) and he said he rigged it to work for about 40 bucks worth of materials, including buying the comparator.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  06:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walker4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm curios to hear what the seller say's. I would ask him myself, but I don't want to bombard him with the same question. There is a quick video on youtube that show's a sorter that someone made. Just google "homemade penny sorter".

The video is so quick, it doesn't explain a lot, but it gives you a general idea.

I'm going to experiment a little with the soda bottle, to figure out how he get's the handful of pennies to go thru and come out straight, and single file, without jamming.

This can't be rocket science.
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-easy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
that sorter on youtube is using the comparator on ebay I believe. check out these threads talking about it

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic~T...mparator.asp

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic~T...mparator.asp

http://realcent.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~841.asp

and I'm still waiting for a reply from the ebay seller
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/12/2008  10:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walker4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found those same threads, and two of the people there have purchased that comparator, and constructed sorting machine's successfully. I'm sold, I bought the comparator this morning.

once I get this thing constructed, I will try to take some detailed pics, and post them here. I've been searching the net and modifying my design the last two days.

If a couple of us share our thoughts, we should be able to build a pretty good, low cost sorter.
Valued Member
United States
178 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add j-easy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
so after asking the seller about using it for pennies I got this response

quote:
we have no idea we sell them for quarters and tokens , but we have sold about 40 in the last 30 days to people that want them to check copper pennies and never heard any complaints good or bad....andrew

- twistedquarter
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walker4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm 99% sure it will work, unless the other guys who have claimed to have built one are lying.

We'll see, can't wait to get mine.
United States
14 Posts
 Posted 04/13/2008  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dreyfus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the one you're talking about from eBay and it does work. The problem will be mounting it, feeding it, finding the right "sample" coin, and fine tuning the machine. Powering it was easy. I just took a 12 volt plug and spliced the two wires together.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 04/14/2008  11:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Walker4 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have some really good idea's for mounting it, and most of them come from ryedales "coin billy design. I'm pretty good with sheet metal, so will see what happens.
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2008  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lucifer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit curious Walker as to if you ever got it to work?
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2008  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EMA34 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Problem solved. I found plans to build one by doing a google on... copper penny sorter ebay
which goes to http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZbullish56
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.97 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05