Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Wheat Penny Errors? Please help.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  10:21 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add 3series84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So, I went through a stack of Wheat pennies, and found a couple that I had some questions on. The first is a bit under weight (came in at 2.73g) and has a really interesting color and streaks in it. also, a really weak strike. Wondering if this might be an error on some other material?
The second seems to have a hole not all the way through the coin, but what's interesting, is that the metal is just displaced to the outside of the hole from what I can tell. does not seem to be drilled. looks like it might be a bad planchet? any ideas? Thanks so much for any help

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3521 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  10:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your 55 looks to be a "woody" cent - improperly mixed alloy causeing the streaks on your coin. And struck through grease causing the light/missing letters on the reverse.
I have no guesses to what happened to your 20.
You should always collect within your income, even if you have to borrow to do so.

Valued Member
United States
371 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  12:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Redifin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Concerning the 1920. Lam that started a deep corrosion? Or an old impact that started corrosion. Either way, I do think the hole is PMD.

I agree with mark on 1955.
DD's...on the hunt: 95, 92, 83, 72, 71, 70, 69, 64, 59, 58, 55, 47, 42, 41, 39, 35, 34.

(Found since (August 2017) signature creation: 82 DDR)
United States
21 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  12:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add 3series84 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I had the same thoughts on the 20, just wasn't sure because of the excess metal outside the hole on both sides. Thought it could have been an impurity blowing out at mint.
And thanks for the info on the 55. Was hard finding anything on that. I have to say, I'm so glad I joined here. Everyone is so helpful and inviting. Thanks again!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18151 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  4:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good eye -

to the CCF!
"You can't fool all the people all the time - others would like a chance."

Bedrock of the Community
United States
10008 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  5:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We look forward to more of your participation.
Valued Member
United States
406 Posts
 Posted 09/13/2017  5:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WheatBackPenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05