Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1953 And 1956 China Banknotes...authentic?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,604Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  6:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dzhuang to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This 1953 2 yuan and 1956 10 yuan was in an eBay auction. After analyzing the serial number in detail, I realized that the font is a bit off in comparison to PMG graded examples. As there are many modern reproductions of these banknotes I would like to know your thoughts on this one...
Also in general what are your methods of distinguishing replicas from the real deal?

Pillar of the Community
United States
633 Posts
 Posted 10/09/2017  11:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Illegaltender to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly, with Chinese stuff I just assume it's fake until proven otherwise.
I agree it looks off, get a graded example to be sure.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
678 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  02:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add aiglet7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
Canada
53 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dzhuang to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate the viewpoints thus far. I personally looked at the vignette and the lines close up and they do in fact match the PMG graded examples. Does anyone else have previous experience with banknotes or modern replicas of this series?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
105 Posts
 Posted 10/21/2017  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add xavierz27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From what I've seen of fakes of Peoples Bank of China notes, your two notes do seem genuine. The serial numbers look good (not 'too' perfect, which is always a cause for concern). The printing seems to reflect the light correctly and the ageing and circulation appears normal/natural. I would be amazed if these were fake.

There's an overview of Chinese fakes here albeit not dealing specifically with the 1953 examples (Peoples Bank issues are towards the end of the page:

http://asiamoney.weebly.com/fakes-3...rgeries.html
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  12:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GUNJAN79 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what are points to know for knowing the notes are genuine and valueable and real
Learn More...
United States
103793 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1404 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2021  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
what are points to know for knowing the notes are genuine and valueable and real

-this is pretty broad question with no easy answer, other than get to know the currency you seek well. Do your homework. And get (or buy) a decent magnifying glass and examine your note's security features. Often, with older issues, it is just microprinting which will become blurry with the reproductions. And study the signatures, prefixes and get to know the note you're after by using as many references as possible.
Here's one example from Banknote Museum.
http://www.banknote.ws/COLLECTION/c.../CIN0867.htm
There are many sites today, each of which will often provide varying degrees of info on each series. Good luck!
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 1,604Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05