Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The British Monarchy & Coins  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:12 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When Queen Elizabeth II passes, how soon would the next monarch appear on coins? And how would Prince Charles be referred to as? George? Edward? Something else?
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3954 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The last few times it's happened, it takes about a year; that's why the only non-pattern Edward VIII coins are the ones issued in name only.

I won't spread misinformation on the process that I don't understand well, but I think it has to wait for the formal coronation? Elizabeth II succeeded her father in February 1952, but all 1952 coins feature George VI. She was coronated in 1953, the first year she appears on coins.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Charles denies planning to reign as King George

"No decision has been made and it will be made at the time."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1582 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  10:21 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sure hope Queen Elizabeth is not a member here and reading about coin collectors planning her departure
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2315 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DavidUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was considering this in relation to the new plastic banknotes... presumably these too would require a redesign.

Nobody wishes her passing but this will be a big event when it happens and I imagine they have portraits already drafted and preparation in place. It can't be an unexpected eventuality.
Valued Member
Learn More...
Canada
199 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  11:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add loonielewy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I saw a program the other day that said Queen Elizabeth is going to sit as Queen until she is 95 years old. That is years away, so don't expect any changes soon.

I have only had 1 monarch on my coins for my life. QE II. She is, in my opinion, a benchmark beautiful lady. All her images on our coinage through the years show her maturing with grace. What will I do when she isn't there? Typing this has really made me aware of how many times I have seen her image. WOW!

I'm sure I saw a post on here about the King name Charles will take, but I forget which one it is.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9614 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Nobody wishes her passing but this will be a big event when it happens and I imagine they have portraits already drafted and preparation in place. It can't be an unexpected eventuality.

Might be considered poor form to have those already made and I would be a little surprised if they did. That said I'm sure it has crossed their mind and wouldn't take them long to come up with new designs.
Learn More...
United States
23414 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should think that the passing of a monarch would make it inappropriate for their effigy to appear on subsequent issues, and aside production runs already in progress, any future issue would have to have the new monarch upon it.
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I saw a program the other day that said Queen Elizabeth is going to sit as Queen until she is 95 years old. That is years away, so don't expect any changes soon.
About three years and six months away. 21 April 2021. It will be here sooner than you think.
Learn More...
Australia
12704 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  7:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Kings of England can call themselves whatever they wish as their reign-name, and this is not necessarily the name they have been known by as Prince. Edward VII, before he became King, was known as "Prince Albert", or "Prince Albert Edward" to avoid confusion with his father. When asked why he chose "Edward" instead of "Albert", he declared that he did not wish to "undervalue the name of Albert" and diminish the status of his father with whom the "name should stand alone".

Traditionally, the kings choose one of their personal names. Charles is named Charles Philip Arthur George, so theoretically he has those four names to choose from.

"King Charles" still has some dark resonances with the royals - it being a King Charles who started the English Civil War, the only English king to be executed by his own government.

"King Philip" also has negative resonances. Queen Mary I married King Philip II of Spain and there was all kinds of ruckus about having the Spanish king become king of England too. Legal protections were put in place to make sure Philip could never become king. Now, Britian has had a "Prince Philip" (the current queen's husband) for quite a while now.

"King Arthur" is just plain pretentious.

That kind-of only leaves "King George" as the only "acceptable" name, which is mainly why the speculation about him using it exists.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
4360 Posts
 Posted 10/10/2017  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TheForce to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
King Arthur could be interesting. But your probably right about King George being used. But who really knows? We could get a big surprise.
*Complete Canada 50 cent set 1953-present

*Complete Canada Toonie ($2) set 1996-present

*And just a mix of everything else!
Learn More...
United States
48703 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Prediction: Charles will abdicate, deferring to his son, William Arthur Philip Louis.
Pillar of the Community
Norway
1357 Posts
 Posted 10/11/2017  12:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add UltraRant to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I saw a program the other day that said Queen Elizabeth is going to sit as Queen until she is 95 years old.

Abdication, it's called. And it's quite popular with the European kings and queens these days. However, I actually got told that QEII doesn't consider abdication at all, and just wants to be queen as long as she can.

Quote:
"King Arthur" is just plain pretentious.

Just the thought brought a big smile on my face.

For Charles... well Charles III (or IV to shake things up a little) wouldn't come as a surprise. For what I know he isn't on top of the popularity lists of royals either. And why should anything that might have happened 400 years ago have a huge impact on the choice nowadays? It's not like anyone from those days is still alive or still experiences personal hindrances or traumas because of what happened to previous Charleses. On the other hand I also consider the scenario by jbuck quite plausible: he'll just pass the throne to his son (William V?).

For coins... I do expect them to have a scenario ready for the moment it happens, and I do not expect it will take another year for the coins to be ready. The last time the scenario was required was over 60 years ago and a lot has happened since. I don't think we have to wait until coronation, as one is technically already king as soon as the parent dies or abdicates. I guess it also has a lot to do with when this event happens during a year: if the planned number of coins already has been minted for a year, then it'd be a waste to just throw them away... I do believe the Dutch actually waited a year with new coins in 2013 to take some time to think about a new design, to find the right artist and to find the right design, and they already knew months ahead what would happen. Still a lot of coins with the queen have been minter for 2013, the first ones with her son came in 2014.

One thing I'm fairly sure of is that the next king of England will face the opposite direction again compared to the Queen.
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05