Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Copper 1 ounce rounds  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  06:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13101 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What is a typical %age premium on copper rounds above melt value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1296 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RoyCoinBoy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, if you plate em with silver and a little dishonesty, just as much as silver rounds!
"When I'm old and grey, I want to be known amongst the neighborhood kids as that old guy who gives out full size candy bars on Halloween" - me, when for some reason I was thinking really deep.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3062 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Go to eBay and see what they are selling for.
Remember look at the ones actually sold, NOT what the ones that didn't sell were listed for.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Well they are way over melt, pretty much what the premium is, Current scrap price per pound is $3.140/pound across the US this is for chunk/large pieces
Your local may be lower depending on the dealer.
Now these rounds were bought bulk @ my local coin shop he got a deal on close to a 1,000 of them and gave me a great price.
Since I am interested in the art work on them, I buy what I like even figuring the die costs and other manufacturing costs. They were about a buck each.
Now before the local trade/flea market closed and the local gun shows ended there have been a number of vendors trying to hump them at over the top premiums. from 1/4 ounce to kilo ingots. They were saying that they are the small change of the future after the Apocalypse nuclear, civil war, zombies or alien invasion.
You would be better of to buy copper pipe,fittings or wire to use as barter fodder. As the conversion of scrap or ingot copper to something useful would near be impossible for the average person Copper wire to TIG welding rod are melted and extruded in an OXYGEN FREE environment!
they are running in bulk numbers on Ampex from .99c up 500 About $2.00 retail and then they go up from there.
They aren't an investment no matter what a dealer say
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3582 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  7:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

Today’s spot price of copper is $3.11 USD per pound. As copper uses the avoirdupois measurement system (vs. troy), a pound has 16 ounces (vs. 12), that works out to 19.44 cents per ounce.

I typically see one-ounce copper rounds offered at local coin shows for anywhere from $2.00 to $3.00 each.

At $2.00 per round, the premium over spot is 1,029%; at $3.00, the premium is 1,543%. At $1.00, the premium is only 514%.

Big percentage markup but small dollar markup considering the dealer’s handling costs.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Edited by commems
10/12/2017 7:20 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
13101 Posts
 Posted 10/12/2017  7:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got some nicely intelligent answers; thanks for that.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 10/14/2017  12:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nautilator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commercial sites like JMBullion sell copper rounds at $1-1.50 per 1-oz round depending on how many you buy (expect that they'll be $1.50 each, unless you really want hundreds of them). From the rounds and bullion bars I've seen of copper, zinc, etc I find that the markups are massive relative to the metal value. So they're nice as collector items, just don't believe anybody who's advertising them as investment pieces.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted 10/15/2017  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1570 Posts
 Posted Today 11 Hrs 4 Min ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Circus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05