Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Coins With Acetone.

First page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 69 / Views: 27,424Next Topic
Page: of 5
Canada
5 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2018  2:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MrG49 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most interesting discussion, learned something totally new, and usefull. Thanks everyone!
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bobverse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting....I am coin roll hunting Jefferson nikcels right now and have a pile of rejects. I took 8 out the pile and conducted an experiment last night. All 8 coins had different issues and were never going into my collection. After soaking each coin for 60 seconds individually and allowing them to dry on a paper towel I was shocked by the results...only 1 coin still had crud on it. I will take another look at them tonight. One of the cleaned coins (80s) has full steps and went from ugly to my collection in 1 minute.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20394 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  10:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
take 1/4 of a big spoon of ANT poisen and 3/4 of water. wrap the coin with silver paper and put the coin inside to 2-3 minutes. if its not enough,take of the silver paper and put it for 2-3 minutes again. wash it with water each time you'r doing it but no more than 2-3 times.

But what brand of Ant poisen? At a store I found some Ant Poison. Is that similar? Water varies everywhere. What kind are you using? Is the Silver Paper Sterling? What is a you'r?

Quote:
New to this—i was told/read "do NOT clean your coins "so have not touched my coins at all—so its ok to clean coins with soap and water and ok to clean with acetone?—thnx

Please note. There are many hundreds of brands and types of soaps and same with water. You should be careful since some soaps are very abrasive and some waters contain chemicals that are not coin friendly.
just carl
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2018  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dish soap, a degreasing one with warmed distilled water is OK, anything else could have a long-term effect. Acetone is great for all coins, but some have reported less than satisfactory results on copper coins.

Try BadThads polarity ladder. substances react to acidic or alkaline differently. The safest agent is distilled water. Then acetone, then xylene.
Edited by Crazyb0
08/17/2018 11:53 am
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  05:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To CCF Bobverse! I'm glad that you were very happy with the results from your Acetone bath experiment! Congratulations on adding new coins to your collection! I hope you'll participate with CCF in the future!
Edited by Errers and Varietys
08/18/2018 05:32 am
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lionel90 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell you what not to use to get coins out of acetone - plastic coin tongs melt in acetone. I have chop sticks but I'm not too handy with them. I also have some ordinary metal tweezers with some electrical heat shrink tube on the ends for cushion. I don't handle really expensive coins with them but they work fine for my circulated roll finds.
Valued Member
353 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  06:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeowtheKitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone ever try MEK? Meow was thinking to give that a try one day to see if it does a better job than acetone.
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  06:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MeowtheKitty, the only question though, is it safe to use on coins? If it isn't, don't use it. :)
Valued Member
353 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeowtheKitty to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well how could we know unless we try? Has anyone you know of tried using it before on coins?
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  08:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't tried it before, so that's why I question it as well. If no one has tried it before, you can do it on a junk coin, as a experiment, and see if it's safe to use?
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  10:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to MEK, Stands for Methyl Ethyl Keytone, a stronger solvent than acetone. My only question is, what are the inert chemicals that make it stable? Couldn't find that out. As I stated before, the polarity of the solvent matters. Acetone(and apparently MEK) is for organic substances, and Xylene base is for non-organic gunk on coins. One is an acid base the other alkaline. Each step listed previously is in order of harshness of cleaning. You have to remember that your purpose is to clean the metal with the LEAST amount of damage to the outer layer of coin metal. If MEK is advertised as a stronger substitute for acetone, more damage than acetone may occur... stick with the known factor, acetone. Your coins may look better immediately, bit just what long term damage have you caused will it tone badly in the future... maybe.
Edited by Crazyb0
08/18/2018 10:52 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3553 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are going to use MEK, read the SDS (Safety Data Sheet):

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/msds...toreId=10652

And for Acetone

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/msds...tion=ACETONE

-----Burton
47 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  12:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hope you read this Meow, you may just scratch one or more of your supposed 9 lives!

Thank you Burton, just what I was looking for...

Quote:
Methyl Ethyl Ketone

10. Stability and reactivity
Reactive Hazard: None known, based on information available
Stability: Hygroscopic.
Conditions to Avoid: Incompatible products. Excess heat. Keep away from open flames, hot surfaces and
sources of ignition. Exposure to moist air or water.
Incompatible Materials: Strong oxidizing agents, Strong acids, Strong bases, Strong reducing agents, Ammonia, copper, Amines

I would suggest AGAINST using this for clad coins and any copper coins at all! Is seems to be twice as volatile and vaporous as Acetone, and MUST be used in a WELL VENTILATED area, NOT your bedroom or basement!
Edited by Crazyb0
08/18/2018 12:34 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
669 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MEK is used to clean aluminum aircraft parts before spraying with zinc dichromate primer... Gloves and a ventilator mask is highly recommended. Strong stuff, be careful...
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Bedrock of the Community
26893 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2018  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think the moderators should pin this as a sticky topic. It's a very important one, in my opinion, as there's so much good and valuable information given on this thread.
Edited by Errers and Varietys
08/18/2018 1:24 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 69 / Views: 27,424Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05