Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1976 Library of Parliament Silver Dollar with VIP Case  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1945 Posts
 Posted 12/03/2017  12:27 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I received this coin and case the other day, was happy to
see the difference from the regular case. Blue VIP Case -
anyone have any idea of how many were made.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3655 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing! I always enjoy looking at the special packaging options that have been used to distribute Canada’s silver dollars. Your package appears to be in excellent shape.

My understanding is that these specially-packaged 1976 Library of Parliament dollars were only available for purchase by members of Canada’s Parliament; the Library of Parliament itself requested the custom coin cases from the RCM.

At the time, Parliament had 264 members in the House and about 96 in the Senate – a total of ~362 members. So, a sales total would be based on how popular the coins were among members. I could envision many members buying multiples of the coins to use as gifts for family, friends and those with whom they had business dealings.

I am unaware of a published final sales figure for these special cases, but would hazard a guess and offer a number in the range of 2,500 to 5,000. While such a sales figure would represent less than 1% of the total number of Library coins struck by the RCM, it would seem to align with general availability of the special packages in the secondary market. The regular cases are always readily available while the Parliament-only cases do not appear with great frequency.

Of course, the suggested range is just an educated guess on my part…

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6105 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your clarification is very insightful, commems.

But I am guessing, these special packages have been made specially for Senate members, and have been given as a free gift.
The comment/mark on the white box, probably made by dealer / coin store, to which this coin have been brought later.
Pay attention, it not appears as "Parliament" edition but "Senate", so the person wanted to highlight it.

We can speak about 100 - 150 packages.

And again, this is my guess, which I feel is true.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3655 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  11:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silveroid: While I was providing a guesstimate on the number of special cases made/sold, I was not guessing regarding their distribution via sales to all members of Parliament - that information is from documented sources.

Collecting history, one commemorative coin (or medal) at a time!
Original content (c) Commems, 2012-2017
Pillar of the Community
Canada
6105 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silveroid to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you commems, for update.

Sounds weird, that the coins have been sold to the Parliament members.
I understand, that those times the RCM NCLT coins were unusual thing, but together with this, do not see demand to buy these coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3098 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  4:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showing this SilverDon.
Didn't know such a case existed.
I have the burgundy one but will
be looking out for this one as well.
Valued Member
Canada
189 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
1945 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eBay sale does identify a Case number;

Special Case #G5894, it does seem semi scarce in searches.

Thanks for the comments and intel Commems, Silveroid, JimmyD and Jimper.
Makes sense to have the VIP Cases for the Members to distribute.
Will have to check some Mint reports.

Priced at $25 BIN, is about $10
more than the regular cased dollar.

I really like the older packaging.
The shiny satin, and spongy felt,
and the odour of leather. Big Crest.
Classic.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
3098 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks jimper, saves me from looking.
I ordered it while it was still available.
Valued Member
Canada
189 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2017  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your very welcome JimmyD. Glad to help.
Learn More...
Canada
7358 Posts
 Posted 12/09/2017  3:34 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are uncommon, but not scarce... I had four of them at one point, and they took forever to sell, even when I listed them at $15.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05