Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Maritime Bank Of The Dominion Of Canada, Cheques Et Cetra.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2017  4:41 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone, welcome to our new sub-forum. As a huge cheque, stock and bond enthusiast I was happy to see this advancement in our community.

Since it appears that half of the topics started in this new sub-forum are from me I figured why not start another.

I do not have all my notes in front of me (I stopped at my aunt's after work due to the snow) and hunkered down for the night. However I think I have enough knowledge in my head to start a thread on the paper ephemera of the Maritime Bank of the Dominion of Canada.

I would like to use this thread as a way to post the progress I make on collecting said memorabilia. I would also like to encourage anyone with something to add to post along.

The bank had three branches. It was based out of Saint John, New Brunswick and had branches in Fredericton and Woodstock.

Most of my ephemera is Woodstock based, as that is where I live. Here are some cheques and post cards. I have about 20 pages of information on Gilbert William Van Wart, the branch's banker, and will get a little biography put together in the next few days. Most of the information has been gleaned from local newspapers and diaries found in the town's archive.

Maybe I should have waited a few days to write up some information to help contextualize all my "stuff" but I am just so giddie we have a cheque forum. More information is to come in the following days.

Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2017  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to see this new subforum, also! My area of collecting are stocks/bonds/checks with engraved vignettes by American Bank Note. So your checks are outside my knowledge base, but I'm always interested to learn.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2017  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, don't have any Maritime Bank checks, but do have a few from Canada:
======

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4190 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2017  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I know an editor (and plenty of readers) that would be thrilled to have your information on Van Wart condensed into an article for the APNA!
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1118 Posts
 Posted 12/12/2017  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Harmonica to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was half thinking about sending you a message when I get it all done, chequer.

I actually tracked down VanWart's 6th great grandson in New Hampshire. He owns an antique store and is really into genealogy. I am sending him a cheque.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05