Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Things That Are Almost Checks

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  02:16 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A lot of different items get lumped into the check category, but are actually different types of fiscal documents. I've only recently started to learn the differences. The American Society of Check Collectors website has descriptions of these various documents at http://ascheckcollectors.org/gpage4.html. Here are a few from my collection:

Draft

Bill of Exchange

Certificate of Deposit

Promissory Note

Receipt

Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Deposit:

Edited by techwriter
12/17/2017 04:34 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
3981 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  06:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great post. And thanks for the link!
ANA member: 3178122
NTCA member: 10118
Edited by scopru
12/17/2017 06:29 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2507 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  09:54 am  Show Profile   Check BigSilver's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BigSilver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
/ is almost a check. You just need to add a small northwest line from the bottom.
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  2:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY nice!
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 12/17/2017  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't forget Warrants. You see these commonly today, such as state income tax refunds (well except Illinois) which are warrants against the state treasury not a check.
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2017  03:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm aware of warrants, but I've never seen one in a form similar to a check. Here's an American Bank Note reprint of one from the City of St. Joseph, Missouri. But this resembles a banknote (exactly the intent). I'd love to see other examples if you could post something.

Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2017  11:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah ha! I did find a more check-like warrant which I'll post as an example. This one is from Eureka County, Nevada.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3311 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Apply for a Turkey hunting permit next year in Michigan. They cash your check when you apply. Then when you lose the lottery, they cut you a warrant to refund your application fee.

State tax refunds, those kind of things (when they aren't done electronically through the ACH),
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always kind of liked this "almost check"
=============================

======================
Notice it was "not paid for want of funds" ?
Edited by techwriter
12/27/2017 12:44 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/27/2017  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure like this one with the train:
===========================

===================
Receipt for dues
Edited by techwriter
12/27/2017 6:26 pm
Valued Member
United States
50 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2017  5:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
B.of L.E. = Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, just in case you weren't sure ;-)
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/28/2017  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A few more "almost" checks:
=========================
County Warrant

County Warrant

Time Certificate of Deposit

Certificate of Deposit
Pillar of the Community
United States
1274 Posts
 Posted 12/31/2017  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add techwriter to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This 'draft' is almost a check. Interesting company and history too.
===========================

History link for your reading pleasure:
1. http://findingaid.winterthur.org/ht.../COL0194.htm

2. http://www.pbase.com/image/121895834
Valued Member
United States
395 Posts
 Posted 01/03/2018  01:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really like the vignette on that one! Interesting that it gives a six month window to be cashed, but they didn't bother to date it. Not much risk for one pound, I suppose.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1429 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2018  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kefiroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The only such vintage financial document in my possession is this receipt detailing the sale (or purchase?) of a small parcel of land in southeastern Kansas by none other than my great great grandfather (Henry Reeve). He unfortunately would die within a year of the date marked on this receipt at the young age of 30.

Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.98 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05