Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1960 "Morse Code"? Jefferson Nickel ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  09:04 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wildhare to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Has anyone ever heard of this before? It is for sale in an auction and I have no clue. Sorry about the cropping in the photos....their pics.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never heard of it. But my best guess is it looks like both the 6 and 0 of the date have die chips in them.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4175 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  11:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Commonly referred to as a bar-zero. Apparently, there's a couple of them, however I couldn't access the descriptions. They're @ nearly the bottom of the page.http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/p...26339&feed=1

Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wildhare to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You may be on to it Newbie. It does look like there is a "Bar" i.e. "dash" above the "0". I can't tell if the B or R have any. I have seen lots of the Bar Nickels, but have never heard of them referred to as Morse Code before.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was speaking about die chips inside the loops of those numerals.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11876 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  1:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's the 1960-D bar Nickel . There was a discussion here on this about a month ago . The bar is located above the 0 in date .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The "Morse code" is a cutesy term, worked didn't it? Made up, nonstandard terminology whether by seller or old dealers. A common machining error of worn dies commanding an unreasonable inflated bogus "premium" value. Buy it if it yanks your crank, I'd rather save my money and purchase an honest to goodness error coin that may truly increase its value in 10 years!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CrazyB0 So what actually is a "morse code" nickel?
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Newbie, what is a "balloon letter cent"? That is a term I made up to describe the oversized devices on a 1968 LMC, because it looks that way. My term is a non-industry recognized term, got it? A descriptive term is all, like the ghosts people think they see on coins.
Learn More...
United States
78623 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, I think I see what everyone else is seeing now. Interesting find.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok crazy don't get crazy! I didn't know what you were saying. The post I referred to was vague in my opinion and was just wondering if there was a certain made up error that people "coined" to sell more!
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  3:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

BTW, the "get" has gone....
Edited by Crazyb0
12/20/2017 3:24 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1386 Posts
 Posted 12/20/2017  3:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Newbie234 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alright!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05