Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning Pennies Specifically  

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:47 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JBU to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have two specific questions about cleaning pennies. (I already soaked both groups of pennies in acetone for 10 days with little improvement).

1. In the first case I'm wondering if its possible to remove the green crud on the copper. Must be some kind of chemical reaction. Not sure what its called...

2. In the second case, I'm wondering if its possible to remove this kind of heavy dirt and grime. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Learn More...
United States
50550 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  11:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For reference, look at Bad Thad's polarity ladder.

It is likely that Verdi-Care will be needed to rescue these. You will have to ask yourself if they are worth the expense (time and money).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20945 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good advice on both counts. Even removing the verdigris will likely leave a different sort of discoloration underneath.

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5962 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  1:48 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once a coin has received staining it is virtually impossible to reclaim it without stripping the surface layer that is damaged away...yep, you read that right. The advice given is quite appropriate, these are common coins worth face value, unless some weird variety, but the expense and effort is wasted. Seek better examples CRH or even purchasing would be more cost effective.

Do I see a "science experiment" in the future?

Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
01/11/2018 1:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4109 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are, at best, "science experiment" coins. They never had much or any numismatic value, and all that went out the window when they became like this. If you want to try to treat then for the fun and education of it, VerdiCare might help. You could also toss them in some vinegar and see what happens, or melt them into a big blob of metal, then cast that metal into a HUGE mold designed after a penny, that you engraved yourself.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Learn More...
United States
50550 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, if anyone obtains value in doing experiments, then by all means do it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6999 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm afraid your goose is cooked . most of those small cents have a corrosion problem . Verdi-Care will not remove corrosion .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Bedrock of the Community
United States
11924 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are dead. Do not resuscitate.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5876 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

These are corroded beyond any reasonable hope of restoring numismatic value ... which was minimal to begin with.

Politely suggest you move on ... spend them all.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
20945 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2018  6:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep.
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JBU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Will this green corrosion spread to other good quality coins if they are stacked together in a roll?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16023 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  4:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IF your not worried about their value and since not worth a lot of money, why not just spend some time with soap, water, tooth type brush. Just remember that regardless of if you git all that stuff off, there will be damaged areas beyond repair. Yes, they may look a bit better but then only slightly. Also, try some baking soda and water paste with a toothbrush. If all that fails, go to auto parts store and buy some H2SO4 used in car batteries. It will melt almost all of the Copper and leave you with some really nice looking Blue Crystals.
just carl
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14598 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  4:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most of these have terminal stage verdigris which cannot be removed without destroying the coins worse than they already are.

Keep them away from your non-corroded coins as verdigris can spread via contact. Here's an example I found in a tightly sealed roll:

Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14598 Posts
 Posted 01/13/2018  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Verdi-Care will not remove corrosion .

WRONG!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Canada
33 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JBU to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I put some of my pennies in vinegar and the verdigris went away very quickly, within moments it faded! Good to know that verdigris can spread. Thanks for the pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14598 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, any acid will remove verdigris. However, it also attacks the metal leaving a dull and lifeless coin.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05