Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1967 Canadian Silver Dollar Error  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  05:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NewbieCoinBoyy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have looked everywhere for facts and information about this coin. But I have nothing on it. Does anyone know what it is?

Also I found a possible error in the coin. The Ike dollar next to it, is just to show how I flipped the coin. Seems that the Canadian dollar is flipped or something. I do not know how to explain it. Just know that I flipped both coins in the same manner

These were not perfect flips, more interested in the fact that both Queen Elizabeth and the goose are both looking to the right of the coin. If that all makes sense...

Hope someone has more information about this coin and its possible value.

Pillar of the Community
United States
1931 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
US mints coins in "coinage" alignment so that, when you flip the coin N-S, the images are the same. Canada mints their dollars in "medallic" alignment, so that when you turn it E-W, the images are correct. To remember which is which, just think that you won a medal that you wear around your neck. Whichever side shows by flipping around, people can still read both sides of the medal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15539 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  08:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good tip from Okie that I've never heard before.
Two nice coins, still.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1667 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
However with the 1967 Canadian dollar there are many "error" coins with the goose in multiple off angles including completely upside down. These are called Diving Goose (geese)

However these are more considered Back Door Jobs, as most of these ended up in the hands of several well known collectors.
Valued Member
Canada
138 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey NewbieCoinBoyy;

Welcome to the forum, I also am fairly new to the forum but have been collecting Canadian coins for a while now.

The coin you have is the 1967 Canadian Silver Dollar featuring the Canada Goose reverse. All of the 1967 circulation coins featured a commemorative reverse designed by Alex Coleville to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Confederation. The reverse was reprised for last year's 150th anniversary but only in NCLT sets.

The dollar is also notable as it was the last circulating silver dollar issued by the RCM, from 1968 on the dollar coin was a smaller (32mm) nickel dollar until 1987 when the current loon dollar was introduced.

The coin is readily available in high MS grades for reasonable prices so any with circulation wear are usually valued at melt (the coin is 80% Silver and has 0.6oz Troy of silver). There are a few varieties that carry a premium, if it struck with coin orientation or if the goose appears to be diving when rotated E-W then these varieties can be quite valuable.
Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 01/12/2018  11:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coin_Operator to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You learn something new every day. Thanks!
Learn More...
United States
57950 Posts
Valued Member
Canada
193 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Check TerryT's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TerryT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Canadian large cents are medal alignment 1858 to 1920. Canadian silver coins are coinage alignment from 1858 to 1907.
From 1908, when the RCM was established, ALL Canadian coins SHOULD BE medal alignment.
Learn More...
Canada
7889 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They are, except for the 2006P pink ribbon 25c... the reverse looks "up" every 120 degrees.
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26671 Posts
 Posted 01/17/2018  4:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

to the CCF!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05