Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1848 Large Cent - What's With The Rust?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
148 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1848-U-S-B...AOSwKIpWDWDu

Nice strike, nice detail but what's with the rusty looking spotting? I don't recall seeing anything lile this.
Bedrock of the Community
10197 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Incomplete paint removal? Either that or it wasn't cleaned completely from the dirt it was smeared with(doubtful, surface too smooth)
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/14/2018  11:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Old lightly circulated coins sometimes exhibit different toning around the edges of the devices. This is because the fields come in contact with dirty fingers more often. The edges of the devices are spared from the abuse of circulation. On this example you can also see the change in toning hugging the edges of the lettering.
Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Edited by MikeF
01/14/2018 11:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3479 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MikeF to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Case in point. Look at the contrast in toning on this original Seated dollar:

Hi, my name is MikeF and I'm a degenerate coin collector. I also like adventure, big trucks, long walks on the beach and the Kansas City Chiefs.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10100 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:26 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice example, Mike! I think the question has been answered.
Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum.
-Lucretius

"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you."
-Kurdt Kobain

My Want List: http://goccf.com/t/282022
Valued Member
New Zealand
148 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We're not looking at the same thing! What I see are mottled rust-coloured specks across both the devices and fields.
Valued Member
New Zealand
148 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just realised that the photo resolution is much finer via my eBay app than via the web link. Go that that way and I think you'll see what I mean.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1466 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coconutjoe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The unevenness of the color can be caused my many different things.

Most likely, some type of gunk got on the coin, and it probably was cleaned at a later time which caused to have different colors.

It could have been cleaned, dipped, some type of chemical, who knows...
"Completed Dansco 7070 US type album. Upgrades to come"
http://goccf.com/t/325884

If you SEE a post milestone, 250, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10K+, click below.
http://goccf.com/t/316031#2688706
Pillar of the Community
United States
1249 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  09:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chesterb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with coconut on this. It appears that it had some gunk built up which is not unusual for these old coppers and, in the process of removing it, it left some uneven toning or possibly left behind some environmental damage.

This is an example of a coin to avoid, especially, at that price. There are far too many large cents out there that with a little more time and patience one with better eye appeal and without problems will pop up.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
17373 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a coin I'd consider.
Valued Member
New Zealand
148 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Aoraki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
CJ's theory sounds reasonable.

(Not a coin I would consider either. Just intrigued by the strange appearance.)
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
41313 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
chesterb's theory is also plausible (discoloration left over from verdigris removal).
Learn More...
United States
77227 Posts
 Posted 01/15/2018  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
chesterb's theory is also plausible (discoloration left over from verdigris removal).
I can see it.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.2 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05