Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

19th Century Promissory Notes

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,453Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  5:31 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Most of these have been posted in the lengthy "Old checks" thread (http://goccf.com/t/178681), but I thought I'd compile them all here. These are not checks exactly, more like short-term loans, but they have the same features. I enjoy them because of their similarity to obsolete banknotes. All of these were issued prior to the Civil War.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2018  6:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A nice display of odd items. I have a couple local Minnesota that I prize more for their history than their value.
Learn More...
United States
88809 Posts
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2018  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I posted this one earlier but neglected to point out an interesting detail. When I found this promissory note I noticed the small eagle on the left, but apart from that it was fairly non-descript. I almost passed over it, but then looked a little closer.

The eagle is part of a medallion engraving, created by a "ruling machine" which converts 3-D objects into very fine parallel lines, much like a topographical map. What I realized is that the medallion was actually a U.S. coin -- the back of a $2-1/2 quarter eagle gold piece. But somehow the engraving had been reversed and elongated. I'm not sure how that came about, but using Photoshop I flipped and shrunk it back to it's original form.

And here's an example of the type of coin used to make the engraving.

Edited by GregAlex
05/20/2018 11:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
88809 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
717 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2018  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HoboNickelCarver to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice design and detail!
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 11/10/2019  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I haven't posted anything here in a while, but I have added a couple more to my collection. One of these is a promise to pay "One Day" after it was issued. Which basically makes it ... a check.

Edited by GregAlex
11/10/2019 03:12 am
Learn More...
United States
88809 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
4141 Posts
 Posted 11/19/2019  2:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice addition Greg. I like the nautical theme
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 2,453Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.03 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05