Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Women of Rome - Fausta – Wife of Constantinus I  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1287 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  2:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add EFLargeCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Fausta was the daughter of Emperor Maximianus and the second wife of Emperor Constantine I. She was raised to Augusta during his rule but eventually put to death for adultery.

Most of the mints of the era minted bronze coins with her likeness.

Reverses were typically SALVS REIPVBLICAE or SPES REIPVBLICAE with a couple exceptions that are less commonly found.

My two examples were minted at London (PLON) and Trier (PTR). The London example is quite scarce.

Edited by EFLargeCents
02/12/2018 2:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2657 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Marvelous .......

Never even thought London would have issued any of her.

I love the mixed matched ones
Constantius I from Antioch
Maximinus Daia or Licinius from London.
Propaganda
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4277 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superb coins!

I have an okay coin of hers... still a hole filler I haven't upgraded yet.

Fausta in particular is one of the most fascinating empresses mainly due to the mysterious circumstances of her death that were erased from the record by her husband. The leading theory I have heard is that Fausta, jealous of Constantine's oldest son Crispus who had 10-15 years on her son Constantine II. Afraid that he would inherit the throne alone or in an unquestionably senior position, she went full evil stepmother and devised a scheme to dispose of him. Some think that she attempted to seduce Crispus, and then told Constantine that he was the one who had broken Roman law against incest. We know that Constantine ordered the summary execution of his oldest and favorite child in 326, and then executed Fausta just months later, presumably upon discovering the truth. He then ordered all details of that sordid affair erased from history forever.
Selling authentic Roman denarii, starting @$8:
http://goccf.com/t/299965

Check out my latest sale:
http://goccf.com/t/303107
Learn More...
United States
20729 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two excellent coins, I never got around to getting any of hers.
Valued Member
181 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  3:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Matt2018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
very interesting- TY!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13087 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  4:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes, as in this case, the family members are often more interesting than the big boys.
Learn More...
United States
52345 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  09:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wonderful examples!

Topic sticky has been updated.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
546 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coins !Very different style buns!

Great to see the threads up and running again..

Will be following..

Paul
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05