Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950-D Jefferson Nickel - Grading Opinions Please  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  10:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello CCF!

Looking for grade opinions on this 1950-D Nickel. Also wondering if the line(s) on Jefferson's face/profile are die cracks? Something doesn't seem normal there. Thanks!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6557 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:30 pm  Show Profile   Check Crazyb0's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd have to put that one under the high mag to determine, but it looks more like an inside design gouge(scratch) than a crack. It has no radial point of origin to be a crack...? It does suffer from massive PIDT on the reverse, very overworked anvil die.

Oh, you wanted a grade...a nice example Is a solid MS65/66 in my book, better than one I have! Scratch on reverse and two hits on the collar keep it from any higher.
Books on Doubled Dies and Error Coins:
Coin IDing For Dummies Vol. 1, "The Minting process and Doubled Dies" (PDF format)
Coin IDing for Dummies Vol. 2, "Error coins and More!" (PDF format)
Find both here: http://goccf.com/t/296596

"Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press and a disarmed populace."
James Madison
Edited by Crazyb0
02/12/2018 11:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
845 Posts
 Posted 02/12/2018  11:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hoping it's a die crack. Any closer pics possible?
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is as close as I could get without losing image quality. Thanks for your help Tunnioc & Crazyb0.

This coin looks beautiful in hand. I would say the eye appeal beats any PCGS graded coin sold on Heritage. I found it to comparable to PCGS graded MS67 examples online but this coin seems to have stronger luster. The scratch on the reverse is only noticeable under magnification.

Any chance this coin could grade MS68?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
22489 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not even close to 68. More like 63.

to the CCF!
"The value of something is what you can sell it for the same day you bought it."

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
7188 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2018  12:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all with coinfrog ,but I might push it to 64, also I'm leaning towards NOT a Die Break . More like a staple scratch by someone who had no idea what they were doing .
Don't take life too seriously and remember it is just a passing fad ......
Michael Philip Jagger

Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  09:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm by no means an expert, but working on a full Jefferson set myself, and Jeffersons are difficult to get a "strong strikes" that grade well.

The detail in the hair on the observe isn't very well defined, although certainly looks like no "wear", so definitely still MS...

And the reverse looks a bit "weak" to me as wekk.. not much detail in / around the columns and windows of Monticello. And not "full steps".. although maybe some "partial steps" there...

Also, an MS67 would need really good luster in all the fields.. and can't really tell that from the photo... but it looks like there isn't a lot of "flash" in the fields.. but would need it under a good light to see for sure..

I think these issues may hold it it from an MS67.. although possible it could squeak by and grab it..

Probably a solid MS65 or even MS66 or MS66+ if luster is full and no bad bag marks when viewed under a good light at angles... these sometimes don't show when photographed (or viewed) straight on.. as I have learned!

Michael
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  09:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
FYI.. I found this posting on eBay of a MS67 1950..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1950-Jeffe...112397122272

I'm not crazy over the bag marks on this (although possible the marks are more on the "holder' then the coin, but this shows you the level of luster and detail you will see on a "well struck" Jefferson. Look at the detail in the hair on the obverse and in the columns and windows on Monticello on the rear, as well as the very well defined 'triangle' at the top of Monticello.

Hope this helps...

Regards,

Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  09:25 am  Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS62-64 area. Def not above a 65 IMO.
My goal is to climb the 7 Summits
Valued Member
United States
153 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add einstem to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Shotgun -

Just curious about your comment - Do you think it is the 'weak strike' that would pull it down to the 62-64 range, or are there other issues that you think knock it down? Just working on trying to improve my "grading knowledge" here..
Thanks.
Michael
Pillar of the Community
United States
1139 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  10:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverDollar2017 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63 or 64.
Pillar of the Community
United States
697 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  10:26 am  Show Profile   Check shotgung's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add shotgung to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Einstem,
I'm by far not a grading expert so I'll start with that. I have noticed I've been a bit on the conservative side when mentioning grades on CFF and usually come in lower than coin was graded once owners post the grade.
I think the back of the coin is a bit on the weaker side with the strike on the reverse, there are a few bag marks but overall a nice coin. I just tend to grade conservative.
My goal is to climb the 7 Summits
Edited by shotgung
02/14/2018 10:31 am
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2018  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kevcoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took the coin to a highly reputable shop/dealer in Chicago this afternoon. They suggest the damage on Jefferson's face/collar is a die scratch. It does not appear to be PMD as the scratch is clearly raised.

They think it could grade anywhere from MS63 to MS65 (possibly MS66+, if super lucky and depending on the grader's mood).

It appears the die scratch could increase the value of the coin. Maybe it will get a "Scarface" designation, LOL! Considering it's a key date, that it could grade mid 60's, has a noticeable die scratch and possible PIDT/ghosting on the reverse (special thanks to Crazyb0); I hope it comes back from grading as a rarity. We shall see...

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to provide feedback. Much appreciated!
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05