Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New from Wisconsin-Hello from the midwest!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Digger Odell to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone!
I've been collecting coins on and off since I was a kid but only recently started collecting more seriously. I started with metal detecting a couple years ago and amassed a pretty nice selection of coins. But recently I've been buying some of the coins I know I will likely never find detecting. My favorites so far are the fractional California gold pieces. I've also just obtained an 1875 S 20 cent piece with mint errors which I posted about already. I will post a few pics as I can get them downsized.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  10:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Digger Odell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some of the coins I've recently collected

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4593 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Legacy28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Digger! I'm new on here too and also from Wisconsin....border guy in Hudson. That 1912 Liberty coin is very sweet! Welcome:)
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Digger Odell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Legacy28! I'm down near Milwaukee myself, and killing time at work at present. That $2 1/2 gold was a great eBay find I think. I have an appointment Wednesday morning with a local high end dealer and PCGS rep. Hoping to get some of them graded soon, and have high hopes the half dollar fractional will grade ms65 or 66.
Valued Member
United States
458 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add luvmyCAM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Now those are some killer coins. Very nice. I get nervous though seeing them not certified by a third party grading service. Not knocking your coins their awesome and rare and gorgeous raw. I welcome you to the forum and let me guess...Packers fan right?
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 03/12/2018  11:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Legacy28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Digger...I saw you're from Mequan so you're on the complete opposite side from me. I cross a bridge and I'm in MN three minutes from my home. My company works with PCGS quite a bit and NGC too. I always wondered what the cost would be to get a coin personally graded. Let me know if you don't mind! :)
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  12:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Digger Odell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
luvmyCAM-I bought them raw fairly recently from a lot of eBay auctions after sifting through literally hundreds of each type. I sure did learn a LOT about fractionals during the search, especially how easy it is to get faked. They sold reproductions for decades of a great many of those coins. Some are easy to spot, some not so much, especially the ones using the original dies and having gold plate over brass. Unreal how many people are trying to sell tourist souvenirs as real gold pieces! But don't get nervous-as I posted, I'm seeing the dealer this week to see about getting them PCGS graded. Just don't like the idea that it costs $65 per coin plus shipping and insurance, plus takes at least 30 business days.

What I really like about the California fractional gold coins is their rarity. The octagonal 25 cent coin for example only an estimated survival of 300. The $1 has an estimated survival of only 200, and the 50 cent gold only has an estimated survival of 95. If it grades between ms60 to ms64, that number drops to 65 and a rarity of 8.3. If it grades as I think it might, that would be a rarity of 9.9 at MS65 with only 2 others. If it makes MS66, then it would be unique and rarity of 10. The bad news is these coins though extremely rare are severely undervalued at present and might only get from 1% to 5% what they should sell for.

Not shown are a circulated liberty head $5 gold and a rim damaged (jewelry solder) $3 gold piece.
Edited by Digger Odell
03/13/2018 01:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3087 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF!
-----Burton
45 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2023 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  08:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scopru to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF
Everyday is a great day. Semper Fi.
ANA number: 3178122
NTCA number:10118
My Wants List: http://goccf.com/t/188411
Learn More...
United States
60341 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
1760 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2018  4:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BadToTheBone to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF.
United States
3 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2018  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Digger Odell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks much for the warm welcome!
Just wanted to say that I got good and bad news from my expert coin dealer. (PCGS recommended) The good news is he's very impressed by my fractional. Practically drooled all over them! Bad news is the 1853 $1 uncirculated coin is certainly a counterfeit. Contacted the seller and he threatened me and "insulted the dealers qualifications" shall I say.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05