Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1921-D Morgan Dollar VAM Confirmation?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2735 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2018  6:58 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Pretty sure I have this one but I'll see if I match the experts...

VAM-1AS unless refuted..

ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2018  4:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bingo: Yes I believe you nailed it.

For what I know it appears that you have a Mid to Late Stage http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D%20VAM-1AS

If I am not mistaken I can see some scrubbing on the tail feathers too.

An enlargement of the Wing on the reverse should also show some details of Mid to Late Stag too if I am not mistaken.

There are so many VAMs in the 1921-D it can get confussing as I have been trying to figure out a rare 1J LDS I believe.

THE KING - VAM-1J1 or 1J2 -Wing MDS Early Die State: http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D%20VAM-1J

I am sure there are some more pros here that are more knowledgeable than me with many more years experience in these Morgans but it all boils down to research and details.

Other than that I believe you are Spot On.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2735 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Frankencoin!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  12:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your welome srs77:

Too many vams can make you head swim, but it still would be nice to see an enlargement of the wing on the scrubbed area too.

I know the feeling but it can be fun in the research.
Edited by FrankenCoin
04/09/2018 12:39 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2735 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  07:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Frankencoins, if you click each picture an enlarged version will appear. These pictures are huge so you should be able to see the area you speak of enlarged.
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8566 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will not refute.

Another cool one Scott.
Member SSDC
Pillar of the Community
United States
8566 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  11:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@FrankenCoin, as for the 1J you have I believe it is a MDS example. I always go to the US coin facts section here for 1921 Morgans and check to see if SsuperDdave has had one under his lens. His images tend to be better than most if not all on VAMworld. See the attached link for LDS images.https://www.coincommunity.com/us_do...n_dollar.asp

And to CCF and most importantly to the VAMs section.
Member SSDC
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  3:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got you srs77:

Quote:
For what I know it appears that you have a Mid to Late Stage http://www.vamworld.com/1921-D%20VAM-1AS

If I am not mistaken I can see some scrubbing on the tail feathers too.

An enlargement of the Wing on the reverse should also show some details of Mid to Late Stag too if I am not mistaken.

Thank you @Dave700x for the good old "click on the picture" to enlarge" still learning functionality here.

My eyes are not the best now days and the enlargement helps:
Correction: No scrubbing - Early Stage MDS?

Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  3:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FrankenCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you @dave700x: That's what I need 700x

Quote:
@FrankenCoin, as for the 1J you have I believe it is a MDS example. I always go to the US coin facts section here for 1921 Morgans and check to see if SsuperDdave has had one under his lens. His images tend to be better than most if not all on VAMworld. See the attached link for LDS images.https://www.coincommunity.com/us_do...n_dollar.asp

Too many you know what VAMs: I have no clue where I read that once a die break across the Top of A MER raised up from the R to the Rim it was considered a LDS on the 1921-D 1J. (I still need to take pictures if necessary).

Thank you so much for the reference to SsuperDdave - that helps too. I will be going back over this coin in a few days and back into research and verification.

So much fun: It is a hobby and a passion.

You guys are awesome - the blessing of the Internet and CCF.

Pillar of the Community
United States
8566 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  3:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's what I need 700x

That might show you too much detail...
Member SSDC
Edited by dave700x
04/09/2018 3:48 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2735 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srs77 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dave, thanks for the coinfacts info. I was unaware (my bad) that SsuperDdave had provided images like that. His images are always awesome and it's a great resource!
ANA Member 3171274
Vamming? What's that?
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.09 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05