Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scratches On Slabs - Reslab?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  09:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It seems the PCGS slabs scratch pretty easily. I have several holders that make taking clear pictures of the coin very difficult. Has anyone had their coins reslabbed?
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1532 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've had a couple reslabbed, but to fix a crack (and one rotation which bugged the heck out of me). Expect to pay the $12 reholdering fee plus other shipping/handling charges (though I got a good deal through my LCS).

That said, if the scratches are light, you could look into buying some PlastX or Novus polishing kit. It's cheaper, and if it doesn't work you can still reholder them. There are some other threads with details and feedback, just search for "Plastx" or "Novus".
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Pillar of the Community
United States
4303 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I use Novus to clean up scratches.
Works well unless the scratch is particularly deep.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12617 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add basebal21 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They'd don't scratch easy but a lot of dealers don't take very good care of slabs.

Fortunately PCGS are the ones that are the easiest to buff out scratches. There's a lot of threads you can look up about how to do it but if you don't want to put in the effort or want them in the newer slabs which have better optics than you can get them all reslabbed.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17900 Posts
 Posted 04/21/2018  4:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I actually look for scratches on PCGS and NGC coins for sale because, believe it or not, many buyers seem to avoid them, even for expensive coins.

I use a buffer on them and they are fine. PCGS is easy to buff. NGC is harder to scratch but harder to buff out too.
Valued Member
United States
435 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2018  9:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add txgolfer56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As they say, buy the coin not the slab. I've bought a few where the scratches on the slab were pretty bad. One was so bad, I chose to return the coin for credit from a reputable dealer. I think it got damaged in transit. I don't believe this dealer would have shipped it with the slab in the condition it was in.
Actively collecting US Type coins and Morgans. Thinking about LWC upgrades.
United States
2 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2019  8:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alexdad22 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Use Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a very soft microfiber cloth (the kind for cleaning glasses lenses). Only tiny drop needed. Wipe on, wipe off. Depending on deepness of scratches, repeat 2 to 10 times. I have done this on every one of my PCGS and NGC slabs, and they all look like new if not better. You won't be disappointed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18678 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2019  07:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Use Meguiars Ultimate Compound and a very soft microfiber cloth (the kind for cleaning glasses lenses)

Same stuff I use on auto headlight covers. Works great.
just carl
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05