Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1923(?) Peace Dollar...deep lamanation error on reverse.  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2018  10:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I do not collect Peace dollars but decided to rescue this one from the junk silver basket today. Looks to be a pretty significant Lamination Error on the reverse.

Pretty sure this is a Lam error. What do you think?. Worth rescuing?

Thanks for looking...Mont.

Learning one coin at a time.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  01:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took another close-up of the reverse. This one shows it extends from rim to rim.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  03:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think some type of super glue stick to it. I got one another day and Mr.Coop told me peel it off. Put in the boiled water about 3 to 5 minutes and then see what happen. Just guessing if that a super glue
Pillar of the Community
United States
514 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  04:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SjlundCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, don't put it in boiling water. Looks like a nice lamination to me..nice coin
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  1:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Haha, don't put it in boiling water. Looks like a nice lamination to me..nice coin

Thanks! Never considered boiling it.

Quote:
I think some type of super glue stick to it. I got one another day and Mr.Coop told me peel it off. Put in the boiled water about 3 to 5 minutes and then see what happen.

It is definitely not glue. However if it was I would give it an acetone bath as this would remove it rather easily without damaging the coin.
ANA Member #3185431
Pillar of the Community
United States
1988 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2018  5:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MontCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this be a Planchet Flaw instead of a Lam Error?

When looking at other Lam errors on these coins and others, I have noticed they tend to peel off in straight lines. This one looks different as it has no defined shape,varies in depth and includes the rim.

Here is just the middle picture in my OP. With this lighting it shows the detail and depth better.
ANA Member #3185431
Edited by MontCollector
05/24/2018 5:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8158 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2018  12:50 am  Show Profile   Check Errors and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errors and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting and nice save from the junk Silver basket! As far as value, that's a tough one. I would probably try selling it for 40 dollars and see where that goes.
Errors and Varietys.
Edited by Errors and Varietys
06/20/2018 01:02 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Ending Soon   Newly Listed   Lowest Price   Highest Price   Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.54 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05