Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian 1867-1967 Silver Quarters

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  4:20 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TBR to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I refuse to allow myself to believe that I might have found a pleasant surprise. I'm usually mistaken somehow. Anyhow, I was looking through some Canadian coins and found two like this that I think are probably some percent silver. How can you tell if they are 80% or 50% silver, or not at all?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1682 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ace_ftw to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Welcome to the forum, the short answer in no one cares, these buy/sell for 65% silver spot. the long answer is you need to either have to have this tested with an XRF (fancy x-ray) or you can look up online how to do something called a "specific Gravity" test.

regardless of the outcome to either of these tests no one will pay more than the 65% of spot price.

However if your coin is magnetic then you do have a very, very special coin. there were a few test coins made of 99% nickel as a test for the new coins being made in 1968.
Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  4:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The move from 80% to 50% silver occurred due to rising silver costs during the year so while the alloy changed, the dies did not. There is no way to differentiate between the two variants visually. A XRF will probably tell but that is probably overkill. The difference is 1.75g of Silver and since the coins are bullion value given their grade, you are talking about less than a dollar in difference.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2377 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Altaira to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think they sound different when you drop of ping them. But as stated above, no one bothers when buying and selling. Dealers will separate pre-1967, 1967, and 1968 silvers.
Toronto Coin Club www.torontocoinclub.ca
Office of the Secretary
Meetings 3rd Mondays at 7 PM
Valued Member
Canada
196 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  8:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
TBR
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5182 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  9:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2018  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TBR to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the info.

Just thought there might be some visible change or indicator corresponding to the change in composition.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05