Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Quarters with the P

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  1:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add lesley7uk to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi I am totally new to the coin collection thing so you will have to excuse my lack of knowledge here.

I have been putting away Canadian quarters from the 2000 range for a while and have a handful that have the letter P under the queen. What is the tell tell sign that any of these are worth anything?

I also have an 1807 Britannia Penny

I have no idea when I see something I decide to keep, it will just look interesting to me and I hold onto it.
Like an American 2005 Quarter dollar Liberty and California 1850 on the reverse

Thanks everyone and would appreciate any feed back
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5139 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4953 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First of all-
to the community
Feel free to ask any question you may have as there is someone here who can help.

To answer your questions-
The "P" on the quarters stands for plated to signify the new multi-plated coins issued for circulation between 2001 and 2006 so there is no extra value.

The California Quarter is one a series known as the "State Series" issued between 1999-2008 when there was a different issue for each of the 50 states. As there was between 500 million and 1 billion of each state minted, there is
no extra value for these in circulated condition.

Your 1807 Great Britain George III penny may have some value depending on the condition.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.
Canada
2 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lesley7uk to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information everyone, much appreciated.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4074 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  7:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are a few 2000 P caribou and creativity 25 cents out there and are worth a small fortune
Valued Member
Canada
67 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2018  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CalmBud to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The P mean plated over a steel core
Learn More...
United States
61456 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5139 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2018  10:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ lesley7uk
Very interesting,please read:
https://everything2.com/title/Canad...P%2522+coins
Valued Member
Canada
379 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  5:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add unruhjonny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
as mentioned previously, 'P' indicates "plated steel".

When the mint was going away from solid core blanks, in many instances they would do part of the yearly mintage as plated, and the remaining in a solid core coin.
I had fun looking for early 2000's variations of 'no-P', 'P' (2000-2002), then it went to old vs new bust (2003), then there was in the case of 2006 pennies 'no-P', 'P', RCM-zinc, and RCM-steel... you may need to find a charelton book to know what was, or what wasn't minted by denomination and year - but you can buy a used book, as the values don't rapidly change on recent coinage, and it's nice to have a book to at least help you with major variations.

Welcome here, and welcome to the hobby!
My "want" list is HERE
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.8 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05