Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest! Check out our Google+!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I have inherited a bunch of ancient coins..  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Australia
1 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  01:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Shazzam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

Recently I inherited a bunch of ancient coins which I have been told are middle eastern in origin (Syria, Lebanon).
I have absolutely no idea about coins so just wanted to run it by you all to see what I have in my possession.

Look forward to your feedback.

Shaz

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
786 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  02:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum..

It would be a lot easier for identification and authenticity if you posted 2 coins at a time and crop out the background.

In the mean time looks like an interesting bunch especially some of the smaller lrbs although some do look heavily cleaned but again maybe thats just the photo.

The 2 denarius are of Severus and Antoninus Pius.

Paul
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
786 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  02:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Antoninus Pius Denarius I think is this one ...ref wildwinds...

ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P XIIII, laureate bearded head right / COS IIII, Bonus Eventus standing left holding ears of grain & patera.
RIC 196, RSC 220, BMC 717

As I said better photos needed....Paul
Edited by Palouche
06/13/2018 02:51 am
Learn More...
United States
21508 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  06:43 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the community

Please post only one of two coins at a time.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2309 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  07:42 am  Show Profile   Check chafemasterj's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finn! Where are you?!? Hellppp!

All joking aside, welcome to the Forum. You’ve come to a great place to share and learn.
http://goccf.com/t/303774
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
14464 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a vague feeling that the lower of the two silver tetradrachms may? be fake, but we really need better pictures of individual coins.
The rest of them look to be OK in the group picture.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5017 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

My gut says both tetradrachms are fake - top is Philip III (Alexander's brother) and looks too round, the devices too crisp (e.g. machine struck and not hammered) and the edge looks like it was struck in a collar. The Demetrios is grainy and most likely cast.

Good news is, the rest I think are genuine. You have a nice assortment of later bronzes, including a few from the third century, and most from the 4th and very early 5th centuries. A few are Islamic and Byzantine, too.

This website will help you attribute most of them, but keep in mind that a handful are not in the date range covered.

The denarii are indeed Antoninus Pius (and a really nice one at that!) and Severus Alexander. I am not terribly concerned about either being fake, but would like better pics!
New Sale! Inexpensive classic Greek silver, over 2,400 years old!

http://goccf.com/t/323297
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
15652 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moxking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. There appears to be some very nice coins included. As everyone has advised, closer photos of one or two coins at a time would be helpful for authentication opinions and identification.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3608 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  4:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have a vague feeling that the lower of the two silver tetradrachms may? be fake

It is. It's an exact match for a Demetrios Poliorketes tet in the fake reports...I uploaded a pic at another site where the OP posted the collection.
Edited by Bob L
06/13/2018 4:50 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.92 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05