Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1855 Traders Bank of Tennessee one dollar note

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  9:51 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Tkaway1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,
I am a newbie so all help is appreciated. I have acquired currency from early 1900s and 1800s. My question is about this bank note and the value. I have did some searching online but it is a little confusing. Please bare with me this is the only paper currency I have a question on.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2018  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Choice uncirculated notes from that era only go for about $35 depending on the bank. It depends a lot on rarity.
Unfortunately yours is barely almost good.
That being said, I think it's still pretty cool to have a bank note over 160 years old, not matter what condition is.
Order some heavy plastic holders from a coin supplier that are made for currency and carefully put it in one.
If it was me I would keep it as a conversation piece, as its probably not worth selling unless its a very rare note which I don't have figures on.
ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  05:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tkaway1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the information. Yes the condition is barely good. It was found packed away in Grandparents belongings. Maybe one day my Grandchildren will be in a forum like this, asking questions on it.
Learn More...
United States
61373 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4341 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  4:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MeadowviewCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is considered an Obsolete banknote which were issued in the era before there was US government issued currency. Obsoletes were printed by private companies.

On your note, the company that designed and printed it is found in the upper right above the oval numeral.

I do not know much about grading of these notes. Here's one that the seller grades as Very Good http://www.aocurrency.com/images/im...G-1019-G.jpg

As to value, again I'm no expert but the one I linked to above is listed for sale at $150. Whether or not it will sell remains to be seen.

Welcome to the forum.

-MV
I'm slowly building my numismatic library--106 works and counting

With assistance, trying to compile a listing of numismatic reference books & materials available to collectors http://goccf.com/t/174749
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tkaway1969 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the welcome. Thank you for your information. My note was also printed by the "American Bank Note Company". There is also a signature by the bank Pres at the time.Thanks for the link. The condition of my note looks a little better than the link shows, but that's my opinion. I Can not wait to start going through these early 1900s and 1800s coins. I find the steel coins interesting. If I could only come across copper 1942 penny I have read about.
Edited by Tkaway1969
06/15/2018 09:42 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
410 Posts
 Posted 06/15/2018  12:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is rated VG by APMEX, one of the advertisers here, just for your comparison to grade.

ANA Member
Mark
Official Snowbird!
Illinois in Summer, Florida in Winter
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05