Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

$500 Box Of Quarters / Look What Was Inside

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,601Next Topic  
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  10:02 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add PSD Coiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys, so, bought my first box of Quarters and this is what I found. I only opened half the box...the other rolls are untouched. What would you all do with the untouched rolls?

NOTE: The rolls are not 100% full of 2018 quarters, there is a small mix of other years...to include these.

Are the damaged quarters worth anything? They look like they were damaged from the mint...but I am new at this.

Thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
658 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mtuma3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to all be post mint damage to me.
Mark
ANA Member
Official Snowbird! Illinois in Summer, Somewhere warm in Winter
My7070
Rest in Peace
10197 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  10:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Crazyb0 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Carwash coins! PMD. Now the 83 w/flat edge is most likely PMD, it could be a straight edge clipped planchet...but would need quality shots of both sides plus edge.
Pillar of the Community
7234 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mark1959 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Spenders.
Pillar of the Community
United States
738 Posts
 Posted 06/18/2018  11:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would check the other half of the box. You have nothing to lose but time if you don't find anything you still get your 500.00 back.
But you may find a keeper or two or even a bit of silver.
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  12:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PSD Coiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here you go. The 1983 quarter. Let me know if you still think this is a clipped planchet.

And again, thanks for tidbits of knowledge for this newbie.

Also, would you hold on to a roll or two just because...or just dump them and get the next couple of boxes?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11244 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  01:33 am  Show Profile   Check spruett001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add spruett001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the pics!

The 1983 quarter is definitely PMD and not a clip. On the reverse, you see the rim pushed in toward the center of the coin. On a true clip, the rim would be missing in that area as there was no metal there to create it. I hope that makes sense.

As far as the unopened rolls, open them! Unless you have Mint-wrapped rolls, you cannot be certain of what they contain. Yeah, they may be mostly 2018s, but with a few stragglers that got into the mix. Look for errors/varieties on the 2018s and, of course, silver.
In Memory of Crazyb0
12-26-1951 to 7-27-2020
In Memory of Tootallious
3-31-1964 to 4-15-2020

"If we continue to accumulate only power and not wisdom, we will surely destroy ourselves."
-Carl Sagan
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PSD Coiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all! No silver, haven't found any differences as of yet.
Valued Member
United States
393 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  03:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sosicoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, PSD Coiner. I am a newbie like you trying to learn. Just out of curiosity. Where did you buy your quarters? And what was/were your plans in buying the quarters? If you don't mind me asking? The experts here at CCF can help you more if you are more specific with your intentions as to why you bought a box of quarters and what you want to know. This is a great place to learn. Welcome to CCF!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2018  7:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add malgal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you go to search and ask the question "What quarters to keep while coin rolling hunting?" It will give you the information you need. I get a lot of info from this search help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,601Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05